Physical disability may not be directly linked to lesions...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

Physical disability may not be directly linked to lesions...

Post by MSUK »

Physical disability may not be directly linked to brain lesions

A recent study has found that physical disability may have no link to brain lesion volume in some patients with multiple sclerosis (MS)...Read more - http://www.ms-uk.org/physical-disabilit ... s-230617-0
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Physical disability may not be directly linked to lesion

Post by Scott1 »

From the report-
"Patients in the LL/HD group were found to be more likely to have a progressive form of MS and had significantly lower physical quality of life in adjusted and unadjusted analysis."

All this says is the people with high disability had a lower physical quality of life. They have managed to discover this same group are more likely to have a progressive form of MS. If they try hard enough they may discover that hot water comes out of the hot water tap.

It is not new news to report that the link between lesions and disability is inconclusive.

Come on MSUK. You do need to look critically at what you publish. This is not very good research.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I guess we shouldn't complain about the free work MSUK does passing this stuff along. just use your best judgement to filter it. Maybe MSUK could use its own ThisIsMS forum.

The interesting thing to me is connected to the study on diabetic neuropathy and mitochondrial damage. I guess what happens with MS is like this: lesions seem to cluster on one side of the brain or the other. If your left brain is affected you will have trouble with problem-solving, organizing, math, etc. If your right brain is affected you may have trouble with emotions, and other things. Oliver Sacks' book "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat" describes a lot of right brain problems. An interesting thing about right brain problems is that their handedness means it is likely the sufferer is completely unaware there is a problem.

Physically the handedness seems to be the opposite to where the lesions are. That is the way they are linked to disability. So my right brain is affected, and my physical weakness is on my left side. My left hand is weak, making guitar playing difficult. My left foot won't dorsiflect. Below the neck my left side has lots of problems (including my heart).

Because this handedness applies to circulatory systems there is mitochondrial death. The physical problems are pretty permanent. An interesting experiment with me might be to apply stem cells to my local left sided muscle and mitochondrial damaged areas. Then my left-sided weak muscles and paralysis may resolve, indicating some of my problems are local and treatable once the circulation and mitochondrial damage is repaired, even though in the long run they may return, since the root of the problem is on the opposite side, in my right brain. Some new information about MS may be available that way.

Wonder what causes the "handed" clustering?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

If they try hard enough they may discover that hot water comes out of the hot water tap.
I love the sarcasm!