Scientist Claims She Is On The Verge Of Curing MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Scientist Claims She Is On The Verge Of Curing MS

Post by ElliotB »

My brother sent me this and thought it might be of interest to some on this site.

My response to him (he also has RRMS and is doing reasonably well - he follows no special diet, protocol of any kind nor does he take any medication):

"There are currently about 40 cures for our incurable disease. I won't hold my breath! Thanks for the link."

Here is the link:

https://newsomelet.com/meet-the-scienti ... n-patients

Just more snake oil?? Who really knows! Ultimately time will tell. This doctor is not the first to make this claim and will likely not be the last!
MSKarateka
Family Member

Re: Scientist Claims She Is On The Verge Of Curing MS

Post by MSKarateka »

We will wait and see. I am not sure if they plan to start human trials in 2020, or to have an approved treatment in 2020.
81Charger
Family Elder

Post by 81Charger »

I read that article a few days ago. Sounds very promising as they always do but I'm sure if it is good big pharma will step in and buy her.
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

This is silly. She is just trying to talk up the value of her company. The article presents absolutely no meaningful data to back up her claims. It is just pure speculation. The idea of a single "cure" of MS is a silly concept. For some people, current immunotherapies such as bone marrow transplant may be a "cure." If you have long standing fixed disability, you would not think of remission as a "cure." Does she expect us to believe that modulation of LIF is going to shut down the autoimmune aspect of MS without causing side effects AND magically start regrowing brain and spinal cord tissue. Go suck on a lemon.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

centenarian100 wrote:This is silly. She is just trying to talk up the value of her company. The article presents absolutely no meaningful data to back up her claims. It is just pure speculation. The idea of a single "cure" of MS is a silly concept. For some people, current immunotherapies such as bone marrow transplant may be a "cure." If you have long standing fixed disability, you would not think of remission as a "cure." Does she expect us to believe that modulation of LIF is going to shut down the autoimmune aspect of MS without causing side effects AND magically start regrowing brain and spinal cord tissue. Go suck on a lemon.
Mmmm. Smack, smack. Sour. Much of brain tissue is nerves. They are not long, like the spinal and peripheral nerves. They have significant neuroplastic healing possibilities, as well as the possibility of brand new growth. Nerves grow at about 1 cm per month, I think. There might be lifetime enough left, if the ongoing damage can be stopped.

Mmmm. Smack, smack. Sour. Makes me pucker.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

I would prefer to read that she is on the verge of understanding MS.
Last edited by frodo on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Well, the first thing that struck me is this person is "on a verge of a cure" for a disease she apparently doesn't have knowledge about. She states, "“It can start from the age of 30," Children can have MS and the reason there are Pediatric Centers.

I was diagnosed in 1985 and MS was known as "The Disease who's time had come" with a cure right around the corner...I'm still waiting :roll: I am definitely not holding my breath on this person :twisted:
KatC

Post by KatC »

If you're a unrecognized doctor and want attention, what would you do? Say something stupid! Don't believe everything you read
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Snoopy wrote:Well, the first thing that struck me is this person is "on a verge of a cure" for a disease she apparently doesn't have knowledge about. She states, "“It can start from the age of 30," Children can have MS and the reason there are Pediatric Centers.

I was diagnosed in 1985 and MS was known as "The Disease who's time had come" with a cure right around the corner...I'm still waiting :roll: I am definitely not holding my breath on this person :twisted:
Diagnosed in 1997, just because it had taken them that long, after my first complaints in 1982. Same story. I would have to have taken a breath by now. They told me it would be in the next five years. I suspect it is much more profitable this way. Just keep saying it. Maybe nobody will notice. Which corner? Which verge?

My friend got married, had kids, got a Master's Degree, and then, at the age of 30, died of MS. I am 63.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

Snoopy wrote: I was diagnosed in 1985 and MS was known as "The Disease who's time had come" with a cure right around the corner...I'm still waiting :roll: I am definitely not holding my breath on this person :twisted:
My wife (passed away in 2007 ) was diagnosed in 1971. I can't tell you how many times I was told and read that the infamous cure was "right around the corner"! That is one HUGE corner because after some 75 years of research they still don't even know what causes MS and there is certainly no "cure" out there.
grandsons4
Family Member

Post by grandsons4 »

Not quite the right thread, and I may be behind the curve, but has anyone heard of anything in the pipeline concerning the use of CRISPR technology in the treatment of MS. I've been reading articles and watching videos on the treatment of viral infections with CRISPR, and in one study complete (no detectable virus) eradication of the EBVirus was accomplished in a certain model of infection. If EBV is the cause of some, if not most, of the cases of MS, would this not bode well for those with MS?
HarryZ
Family Elder

Post by HarryZ »

grandsons4 wrote:Not quite the right thread, and I may be behind the curve, but has anyone heard of anything in the pipeline concerning the use of CRISPR technology in the treatment of MS. I've been reading articles and watching videos on the treatment of viral infections with CRISPR, and in one study complete (no detectable virus) eradication of the EBVirus was accomplished in a certain model of infection. If EBV is the cause of some, if not most, of the cases of MS, would this not bode well for those with MS?
There has been a lot of research involving the EBV and other viruses as playing a role in causing MS but to date there has been no scientific proof that is the case. A lot of speculation and possibilities but again, no proof.

Return to “General Discussion”