Vitamin D beyon any reasonable doubt

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
frodo
Family Elder

Vitamin D beyon any reasonable doubt

Post by frodo »

It is difficult to find any serious study on things that cannot have a patent, but this time we have an important one:

Vitamin D supplementation differentially affects seasonal multiple sclerosis disease activity
Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 3.761/full

Objectives

Low ultraviolet-B (UVB) radiation causes hypovitaminosis D, which is a known risk factor for multiple sclerosis (MS) and associated with MS disease activity. Our objective is to test whether vitamin D supplementation is most effective in lowering disease activity during the period of the year with low UVB radiation and consequently low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 (25(OH)D3) concentration.

Conclusions

Our study demonstrated the modulation of seasonal MS disease activity through vitamin D supplementation. Given the prominent reduction in the quarterly relapse rate in late winter/early spring, our data indicate a beneficial effect of supplementing MS patients with vitamin D, especially during this period of the year.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Vitamin D beyon any reasonable doubt

Post by jimmylegs »

"During vitamin D supplementation (18,950 international units/week (mean, SD 3,397)), serum 25(OH)D3 concentration increased by 51 nmol/L"

50nmol/l boost - exactly what i was after with first megadose regimen a decade ago. using the 10d x 50K IU / day recommended by the local hospital, target serum level was exceeded; took me from around 80 at the start, up into the 150 ballpark.

then later when i had spent considerable time and effort working on lots of different nutrients, i tried a lower megadose (ie 8d x 50K IU/d) since at that time i only wanted to get from ~100 to 150nmol/L.

the reduced 8 day megadose resulted in a serum boost from 103 nmol/L to 271 nmol/L. well over three times the dose response obtained in my earlier generally malnourished condition.

oh those pesky co-factors! would be interesting to have a look a couple other things, eg range of dose responses in this study, any correlations with subjects' status for other relevant essential nutrients. no time for it right now though!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

frodo wrote:It is difficult to find any serious study on things that cannot have a patent, but this time we have an important one
There is a lot of funding outside of industry. I searched "vitamin D multiple sclerosis" on pubmed and got 1088 results.

vitamin D supplementation has been recommended in MS clinically for > 10 year
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

More related news. This time I would say that they support vit-D supplementation

Vitamin D deficiency is associated with disability and disease progression in multiple sclerosis patients independently of oxidative and nitrosative stress

http://www.jns-journal.com/article/S002 ... text?cc=y=

Highlights

•Vitamin D deficiency is associated with disability and progression of disease in multiple sclerosis patients.
•Vitamin D is not associated with oxidative and nitrosative stress in patients with multiple sclerosis.
•Vitamin D deficiency may contribute with 11.5% of increase in EDSS.
•Patients with 25(OH)D < 20 ng/mL showed higher EDSS and MSSS.
•The present study showed a negative association between low levels of NOx and total antioxidant capacity and MS.

Abstract

The aim of this study was to assess vitamin D status in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) and to evaluate whether it was associated with oxidative and nitrosative stress (O&NS) markers and disability. This study included 137 patients with MS and 218 healthy controls. The markers evaluated were serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D, lipid hydroperoxides, advanced oxidation protein products (AOPP), nitric oxide metabolites (NOx), and total radical-trapping antioxidant parameter TRAP/UA. Patients with 25(OH)D < 20 ng/mL showed higher EDSS (p = 0.016), MSSS (p = 0.005) and lower AOPP (p = 0.046) than those with 25(OH)D ≥ 20 ng/mL. After the binary logistic regression analyses, EDSS and MSSS remained significantly associated with vitamin D deficiency. We showed that lower levels of 25(OH)D were associated with higher EDSS and MSSS independently of variables such as O&NS, age, sex, body mass index, ethnicity, MS therapy, use of interferon beta, and clinical forms of MS (odds ratio: 1.380, 95% confidence interval 1.030–1.843, p = 0.031). Moreover, the study showed an association between serum levels of 25(OH)D and EDSS (r2 = 0.115, p = 0.002), demonstrating that 25(OH)D may contribute with 11.5% of increase in EDSS. Our results suggest that vitamin D deficiency may be considered one of the predictors of the disability in MS patients, independently of their redox status and influence the progression of disability in MS.