TH17 immune cells linked to gut bacteria...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

TH17 immune cells linked to gut bacteria...

Post by MSUK »

TH17 immune cells linked to gut bacteria and levels of disease activity

According to a recent study, published in the journal, Science, people with multiple sclerosis (MS) have high levels of pro-inflammatory TH17 immune cells in their intestines, which have been linked to the micro-organism mix in the gut and levels of disease activity...Read more - http://www.ms-uk.org/th17-immune-cells- ... ity-190717
MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: TH17 immune cells linked to gut bacteria...

Post by NHE »

MSUK wrote:TH17 immune cells linked to gut bacteria and levels of disease activity
(19/07/17)

According to a recent study, published in the journal, Science, people with multiple sclerosis (MS) have high levels of pro-inflammatory TH17 immune cells in their intestines, which have been linked to the micro-organism mix in the gut and levels of disease activity.

Researchers said the findings suggest that diet, probiotics (which contain ‘good bacteria’) and therapies that regulate TH17 cells could be used to help treat MS.

T helper 17 (TH17) cells are key players in MS, and studies in animal models demonstrated that effector TH17 cells that trigger brain autoimmunity originate in the intestine.

The researchers set out to validate the crucial role of the intestinal environment in humans by promoting TH17 cell expansion in MS patients.

They found that increased frequency of TH17 cells correlates with high disease activity and with specific alterations of the gut mucosa-associated microbiota in MS patients.

By using 16S ribosomal RNA sequencing, they analyzed the microbiota isolated from small intestinal tissues and found that MS patients with high disease activity and increased intestinal TH17 cell frequency showed a higher Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes ratio, increased relative abundance of Streptococcus, and decreased Prevotella strains compared to healthy controls and MS patients with no disease activity.

The research demonstrates that the intestinal TH17 cell frequency is inversely related to the relative abundance of Prevotella strains in the human small intestine.

The data demonstrates that brain autoimmunity is associated with specific microbiota modifications and excessive TH17 cell expansion in the human intestine.

The findings suggest that regulating TH17 cell expansion, along with changes in diet, could be ways to help treat MS.

Source: MS-UK (19/07/17)
grandsons4
Family Member

Post by grandsons4 »

Am I reading that right...they intentionally risked increased disease activity by promoting TH17 cell expansion in MS patients? Or are they saying the intestinal environment can promote TH17 cell expansion?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

grandsons4 wrote:Am I reading that right...they intentionally risked increased disease activity by promoting TH17 cell expansion in MS patients? Or are they saying the intestinal environment can promote TH17 cell expansion?
I'm fairly certain that statement is reported incorrectly. Here's the abstract with a link to the free full text. I've just read the methods section. It makes no mention of deliberately increasing Th17 cells in the guts of MS patients.

High frequency of intestinal TH17 cells correlates with microbiota alterations and disease activity in multiple sclerosis.
Sci Adv. 2017 Jul 12;3(7):e1700492.
  • T helper 17 (TH17) cells are key players in multiple sclerosis (MS), and studies in animal models demonstrated that effector TH17 cells that trigger brain autoimmunity originate in the intestine. We validate in humans the crucial role of the intestinal environment in promoting TH17 cell expansion in MS patients. We found that increased frequency of TH17 cells correlates with high disease activity and with specific alterations of the gut mucosa-associated microbiota in MS patients. By using 16S ribosomal RNA sequencing, we analyzed the microbiota isolated from small intestinal tissues and found that MS patients with high disease activity and increased intestinal TH17 cell frequency showed a higher Firmicutes/Bacteroidetes ratio, increased relative abundance of Streptococcus, and decreased Prevotella strains compared to healthy controls and MS patients with no disease activity. We demonstrated that the intestinal TH17 cell frequency is inversely related to the relative abundance of Prevotella strains in the human small intestine. Our data demonstrate that brain autoimmunity is associated with specific microbiota modifications and excessive TH17 cell expansion in the human intestine.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

Vitamin D suppresses TH17 activity.
Luvsadonut
Family Elder

Post by Luvsadonut »

does that mean we should be aiming for higher levels of Prevotella which will lower the TH17? Or does it mean that the body or gut flora is keeping the Prevotella levels down due to TH17 and maybe inreasing them will make the Th17 or inflammation worse?
grandsons4
Family Member

Post by grandsons4 »

NHE, thanks. Relatedly, I've been learning quite a bit watching videos by Dr. Grace Liu on improving gut microbiome with diet.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Luvsadonut wrote:does that mean we should be aiming for higher levels of Prevotella which will lower the TH17? Or does it mean that the body or gut flora is keeping the Prevotella levels down due to TH17 and maybe inreasing them will make the Th17 or inflammation worse?
Well, I don't think you would want to take Prevotella as a probiotic. It's gram negative and therefore pathogenic.

http://eol.org/pages/83440/details
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I get frequent venous lesions on the skin of my feet. I have a hard time healing. It is probably streptococcus, combined with bad foot circulation due to no walking. I believe MS could be curable with the right microbiota donor.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

1eye wrote:I get frequent venous lesions on the skin of my feet. I have a hard time healing. It is probably streptococcus, combined with bad foot circulation due to no walking.
Try diosmin for your legs.

https://www.vitacost.com/life-extension ... an-tablets

A family member of mine was recently prescribed diosmin by a vascular surgery center.