Do symptoms ever lessen or go away completely?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ebrownkirkland
Family Member

Do symptoms ever lessen or go away completely?

Post by ebrownkirkland »

I have had tingling in both my legs and muscle spasms in my right leg for the past three months or so. I was put on three days of Solu-Medrol and hoped the symptoms would go away after that, but they never did. I'll be starting Tecfidera for relapsing-remitting MS in about a week or so (whenever the insurance company and the drug company work things out), but in the meantime, does anyone know if my symptoms will ever go away? Seeing as how I have "relapsing-remitting" MS, I'd think that my symptoms would "remit" at some point, but after three months, I've all but given up--especially in the heat of summer, as my symptoms get even worse when I walk outside.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Do symptoms ever lessen or go away completely?

Post by ElliotB »

The general answer is yes, but the time frame varies from individual to individual. Be patient!
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

Hi ebrownkirkland,

I'm sure there is some confusion for you and I will try and clear it up...hopefully :wink:

An exacerbation is old symptoms worsening and/or new symptoms lasting continuously for more than 48 hours. An exacerbation can be treated with steroids but remission can happen without the use of steroids. Not all exacerbations require steroids and not all exacerbations are helped with steroids. Usually steroids are not prescribed for sensory symptoms (tingling, buzzing/vibrations, numbness, etc.).

Now for the remission part:

When a person has Cancer they have the possibility of remission, in this case remission means there is no sign of the cancer.

Remission, in MS, can be complete (no symptoms) or partial (residual symptoms/difficulties) with partial being the most common. Remission is simply not doing as bad as when you were having the exacerbation. Three months is a bit soon to know what will remain permanently, what symptom(s) may come and go, or what symptoms are permanent. If after 2 years you still have symptom(s) that have remained then it's a very good possibility those symptoms are permanent. Even in remission MS is still an active disease.

Treating your spasms should be a combination of muscle relaxants (baclofen you are currently taking), or some other muscle relaxant, gentle stretching, exercise, physical therapy/massage therapy. I strongly recommend working with a physical therapist that also does massage therapy, it's a great combination :-)

Many with MS are heat intolerant which can temporarily cause a worsening of symptoms. Once the person cools down the symptoms ill return to what is normal for them. There are precautions you can take: wearing a cooling vest or other cooling items, stay in air conditioned areas, getting out in the cool of the morning/evening, and staying well hydrated. Many with MS find being in a pool is helpful, both for staying cool and exercise.

Anytime your core body temperature increases it can affect symptoms, this would include --- exercise, the flu, virus, and infection.

All of the above (heat, exercise, flu, infection, and probably some I have missed) will cause a Pseudo-Exacerbation which is self-limiting. Once you rest/relax, are not sick any longer and your core body temperature has decreased your symptoms will return to what is normal for you.

It is always possible for those things to cause an actual exacerbation. I have had heat cause true exacerbations.

Just a FYI; it's possible to be cold intolerant or heat and cold intolerant. Cold intolerance and also cause a temporary increase of symptoms just like heat.
ebrownkirkland
Family Member

Post by ebrownkirkland »

Wow! Thanks for the information! This is great and not something easily Google-able. Lol. (Although I do know a fair amount about Uthoff's Phenomenon now, including that the "hot bath" test was used at one time as a tool in diagnosing MS. Interesting.) I had the infusions after an MRI detected an active lesion. I don't know that I would have been prescribed them otherwise.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Talking issues: Went away in 1 week
Bladder issues: Went away in 2 weeks
Bowel issues: Went away in 2 weeks
Optical issues: Went away in 2 weeks
Walking issues: Went away in 1 month
Heat intolerance: Went away in 3 months

Numbness in legs: %90 went away, feet fingers some days symptom free, some days minor numbness
Ataxia: Randomly happens once in 10-15 days, not an initial symptom
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!