Biotin -- cross posted

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
1eye
Family Elder

Biotin -- cross posted

Post by 1eye »

Well, Biotin comes into its own in Canada. I was given a prescription for it by my neurologist today. I asked her, and she said it is being prescribed to all secondary progressive pwMS. It is not being manufactured. I am to get it from a compounding pharmacist. The dosing is a bit strange because it is three times a day 100 mg. That may be just because 300mg doesn't fit easily into standard capsules. I use a 00-size capsule, and cut it with 300mg of rice bran powder. I have been on it for 2 1/2 years already. I figure nobody will warn me not to take all 3 at once, because that's what the French trial subjects probably did, and I bet they used 1 capsule.

Improvements I have seen: digestion (I don't have to worry about Codeine so much anymore)
hair (it grows all over my body now: I never had chest hair before)
stamina and strength -- I am now doing exercises with a cable-weight machine. I am playing a lot of
piano. The weight training has helped my grip strength on my weak side, as well as arm and core
muscles. I was playing catch with a 5 lb sand ball and catching it on the weak side. I will be doing
ball-balancing which is good for my core. I do sit-to-stand exercise which has helped me get in and
out of my recumbent tricycle. I might be walking faster.
Improvements I have not seen yet: Dorsiflection of my weak side still not there. I wear an AFO which does not help. Thigh muscle on my weak side does not work.

I have significant pain in my lower back. Will try a back brace.

Did 15km on my tricycle today.

Good luck with biotin.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
zen2010
Family Elder

Re: Biotin -- cross posted

Post by zen2010 »

Hi

According to Medday (Lab manufacturing the Qizenday), the dosage should be 100mg*3 per day.
1 cap = 100mg
So that's 3 caps/day

You need to keep 6 to 8 hours between two caps
Reason being that your body cannot fully absorb one shot of 300mg.

Cheers
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

That company's product may be taken that way. I have been absorbing 300 mg just fine for 2 1/2 years, as far as I can tell. My digestion is greatly improved by my brand. I think I also benefit from my rice bran filler. It's full of Vitamin B. Just in case there's anything to this statement, though, I guess I may expect even better absorption at 3/day, so better improvements may be on the way. I can verify it using my rate of hair growth, which I believe may be faster than it used to be. Fun experiment anyway. I wonder if my improvements are partly due to 300mg/day of rice bran? I think I may make some bran-only caps...
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I take a lot of supplements and whenever possible split them up to two times per day rather than one large dose.