Factors influencing the hemodynamic response to balloon angi

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
1eye
Family Elder

Factors influencing the hemodynamic response to balloon angi

Post by 1eye »

Article in Press
Factors influencing the hemodynamic response to balloon angioplasty in the treatment of outflow anomalies of internal jugular veins
Alessia Giaquinta, MD, PhD
, Clive B. Beggs, PhD
, Massimiliano Veroux, MD, PhD'Correspondence information about the author MD, PhD Massimiliano VerouxEmail the author MD, PhD Massimiliano Veroux
, Ester De Marco, MD
, Adalberto Sanzone, MD
, Carla Virgilio, MD
, Pierfrancesco Veroux, MD

Abstract
Objective

Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty (PTA) of the internal jugular veins (IJVs) has been proposed in recent years to treat chronic cerebrovascular venous insufficiency, with discordant results. Moreover, very little is known about the efficacy of PTA in restoring a normal cerebral venous outflow. The aim of this study was to investigate the anatomic factors and patient characteristics that might influence the efficacy of PTA of the IJV.
Methods

There were 797 consecutive patients with venous outflow anomalies who underwent standardized, operator-independent catheter venography and PTA of the IJVs. Before and after PTA, morphologic and hemodynamic anomalies of the IJVs were documented. The primary end point of the study was to evaluate the morphologic factors influencing the efficacy of angioplasty in improving IJV outflow.
Results

PTA resulted in an increased outflow through the IJVs in most patients. However, younger individuals with transverse endoluminal defects and higher pre-PTA flows are more likely to respond well to PTA compared with those who exhibit hypoplasia, stenosis, or longitudinal endoluminal defects.
Conclusions

This study identified the factors that influence and could predict the efficacy of PTA in the treatment of IJV anomalies.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Factors influencing the hemodynamic response to balloon

Post by NHE »

1eye wrote:Factors influencing the hemodynamic response to balloon angioplasty in the treatment of outflow anomalies of internal jugular veins
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 3X17303360