Anti-inflammatory effects of flavonoids in neuro disorders

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
frodo
Family Elder

Anti-inflammatory effects of flavonoids in neuro disorders

Post by frodo »

This is interesting because flavonoids are in several tasty places, like grapes.

Anti-inflammatory effects of flavonoids in neurodegenerative disorders

Source: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 3417306839

Highlights

• Neuroinflammation is associated with the pathogenesis and progression of neurodegenerative disorders.
• Flavonoids modulate the inflammatory response exerting neuroprotective effects.
• Flavonoids regulation of microglial cells involve MAPKs and NF-κB signalling pathways.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Re: Anti-inflammatory effects of flavonoids in neuro disorde

Post by Zyklon »

Jimmylegs %99 cacao Lindt chocolate? :D yeeeeeeea
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

you're a brave man, sir. i draw the line at 80. happy place = 70 lol
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Added sugar makes inflammation. Maybe %99 is much much much more effective than %80? Or %80 maybe inflammatory?

1 cup of filtered coffee and 10 grams of %99 chocolate sounds so good for MS if caffeine is not a problem. Lots of antioxidants for fighting free radicals and lots of flavonoids for neuro benefits.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Regular "chocolate" is loaded with sugar. Chocolate is basically a mix of cocoa and sugar. Milk chocolate has milk added to to cocoa and sugar. Cocoa on its own (without sugar) is quite healthy. I have been consuming about 5lbs a month for a couple of years (actually cacao, not cocoa). If you are going to consume some, you should try to only use cacao, not cocoa.

What is the difference between cacao and cocoa?

Raw cacao powder is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans. The process keeps the living enzymes in the cocoa and removes the fat (cacao butter). Cocoa looks the same but it's not. Cocoa powder is raw cacao that's been roasted at high temperatures.

While dark chocolate is thought to be healthy because it has less sugar than regular chocolate, it still has some (sugar) and should be avoided.

Another excellent anti-inflammatory supplement is curcummin/turmeric.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Zyklon wrote:Jimmylegs %99 cacao Lindt chocolate? :D yeeeeeeea
I like the Endangered Species 88% bars.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

my nephews get endangered species bars every xmas but they have not yet come over to the dark side.

my daily coffee is a far more clear and present danger sugar-wise than any occasional chocolate bar.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

The Endangered Species 88% bars were well rated in a review by Consumer Lab for flavonoid content.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

These have shown up at my local store except with cocoa nibs.

Montezuma's 100% Cocoa Absolute Black

https://www.montezumas.co.uk/bars-c1/10 ... black-p249

They're pretty good, much better than baking chocolate. :peace:
Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

2017 Oct
Movement Science Group and Functional Food Centre, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford OX30BP, United Kingdom
Flavonoid rich dark cocoa may improve fatigue in people with multiple sclerosis, yet has no effect on glycaemic response: An exploratory trial
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30014865

RESULTS:
A moderate effect was found in self-reported fatigue throughout the day in favour of the high flavonoid group (Cohen's d 0.32, 95% non-central t CI -0.57 to 1.20). Fatigability measures did not change. Participants consumed and enjoyed the cocoa, all participants completed the study and outcome measures were accepted.
----------------------------------------------

2012 May
Department of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Health Professions and Biomedical Sciences, The University of Montana, Missoula
Urban air pollution produces up-regulation of myocardial inflammatory genes and dark chocolate provides cardioprotection
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3021594/
https://www.eboro.cz
Petr75
Family Elder

Post by Petr75 »

2018 Aug 1
Binzhou Medical University, Yantai, China
Tetramethylpyrazine ameliorates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by modulating the inflammatory response
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30078676

Abstract
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a disabling inflammatory and demyelinating disorder of the central nervous system. Tetramethylpyrazine (TMP) has been demonstrated to ameliorate cerebral ischemic injury and spinal cord injury by inhibiting inflammatory cell activation and pro-inflammatory cytokine production. However, the effects of TMP on MS have not been studied. In this study, we evaluated the effects of TMP on the inflammatory response in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), which is an animal model of MS. TMP (30 mg/kg) treatment significantly reduced the expression levels of NLR Family, Pyrin Domain-Containing 3 Protein inflammasome and caspase-1and decreased inflammatory infiltration and glial activation. Moreover, TMP (30 mg/kg) suppressed the expression of pro-inflammatory cytokines (interleukin-18 [IL-18] and IL-17) and promoted the expression of an anti-inflammatory cytokine (IL-10). The reduced inflammatory response resulted in improvement in clinical scores and decreased demyelination in EAE mice. Therefore, our results demonstrate that TMP (30 mg/kg) improved functional recovery in part by reducing inflammation in EAE mice. TMP may be a potential therapeutic agent for MS therapy.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Extraction and determination of methylpyrazines in cocoa beans using coupled steam distillation-microdistillator
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6994901392

Abstract
The formation of methylpyrazines was determined in fermented cocoa beans (Ivory Coast), in laboratory and industrially roasted samples. The determination of these methylpyrazines was studied by coupled steam distillation-microdistillation as the extraction method and gas chromatography using capillary column and a thermionic detector. The monomethyl-; 2,3-dimethyl-; 2,5-dimethyl-; 2,6-dimethyl-; trimethyl- and the tetramethylpyrazine were detected in non-roasted cocoa beans. Their concentration increased rapidly in laboratory roasted cocoa beans and industrial samples, only the tetramethylpyrazine showed a maximum peak of concentration. The principal compound was the tetramethylpyrazine in fermented and roasted cocoa beans. The determination of the different methylpyrazines in cocoa beans would permit both the evaluation of cocoa mass quality and the control of the cocoa roasting process.
Petr75
Family Elder

Re: Anti-inflammatory effects of flavonoids in neuro disorders

Post by Petr75 »

2019 Mar 4
Department of Sport Health Sciences and Social Work, Centre for Movement Occupational and Rehabilitation Sciences, Oxford Brookes Centre for Nutrition and Health, Oxford Brookes Univeristy, Oxford, UK
A randomised double-blind placebo-controlled feasibility trial of flavonoid-rich cocoa for fatigue in people with relapsing and remitting multiple sclerosis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30833449

Abstract

The impact of flavonoids on fatigue has not been investigated in relapsing and remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS).
OBJECTIVE:
To determine the feasibility and estimate the potential effect of flavonoid-rich cocoa on fatigue and fatigability in RRMS.
METHODS:
A randomised double-blind placebo-controlled feasibility study in people recently diagnosed with RRMS and fatigue, throughout the Thames Valley, UK (ISRCTN: 69897291). During a 6-week intervention participants consumed a high or low flavonoid cocoa beverage daily. Fatigue and fatigability were measured at three visits (weeks 0, 3 and 6). Feasibility and fidelity were assessed through recruitment and retention, adherence and a process evaluation.
RESULTS:
40 people with multiple sclerosis (10 men, 30 women, age 44±10 years) were randomised and allocated to high (n=19) or low (n=21) flavonoid groups and included in analysis. Missing data were <20% and adherence to intervention of allocated individuals was >75%. There was a small effect on fatigue (Neuro-QoL: effect size (ES) 0.04, 95% CI -0.40 to 0.48) and a moderate effect on fatigability (6 min walk test: ES 0.45, 95% CI -0.18 to 1.07). There were seven adverse events (four control, three intervention), only one of which was possibly related and it was resolved.
CONCLUSION:
A flavonoid beverage demonstrates the potential to improve fatigue and fatigability in RRMS.