1st movement after waking triggers violent muscle spasms

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
THX1138
Family Elder

Re: 1st movement after waking triggers violent muscle spasms

Post by THX1138 »

I changed the amount of coenzyme Q10 and acetyl-l-carnitine that I take:

CoQ10 ----- 3x100 mg
Acetyl-l-carnitine ------- 3x1000 mg
So at each of three meals , I take 100mg of coenzyme Q10 and 1000 mg acetyl-l-carnitine.
The products are:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q ... UTF8&psc=1
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

My current supplement regimen:

Acetyl-l-carnitine --- 1000 mg three times per day
Coenzyme Q10 --- 100 mg three times per day
Fish oil --- 2000 mg three times per day
Jigsaw activated B with SRT --- one pill per day
Boron --- 3 mg three times per day
Zinc ---- 30 mg twice per day
Copper --- 2 mg once per day
Multi mineral --- one serving per day ------ https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson ... n-120-caps
Magnesium --- 2-3 magnesium bisglycinate 133 mg capsules & the below mentioned Natural Calm magnesium
PQQ --- 20 mg once a day
NAC
Probiotic with 66 billion viable organisms --- 3 times per day

Water: One gallon/day of carbon block filtered tap water mixed with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Salt for Life and about 400 mg of Natural Calm magnesium
Last edited by THX1138 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Are you still doing some exercise?

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Yes, more than ever (in recent history). My exercise level has been increasing.

It currently basically consists of riding a Nu Step machine for 20 to 30 minutes at a moderate exertion level. Or, if I get to the exercise room late, I will go very vigorously for the time I have left, which is sometimes just a few minutes. This gives me a more muscle oriented, anaerobic workout. I go to the exercise room usually 5 days per week.
I also ride my recumbent exercise bicycle everyday, and last night I did the most ever in recent history which was 10 minutes at a good pace.
I also walked the hallway a bit, which is just a few hundred feet. Last night, I walked the farthest ever in recent history.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

That's really good.

Any aches and pains anywhere from doing that?

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Scott1 wrote:That's really good.

Any aches and pains anywhere from doing that?

Regards,
No
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

That is an exceptionally good sign.

Keep going.

On your pancolitis, have you ever been tested for FODMAPs? http://fodmapfriendly.site-tester-2017. ... e-fodmaps/

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Scott1 wrote:That is an exceptionally good sign.

Keep going.

On your pancolitis, have you ever been tested for FODMAPs? http://fodmapfriendly.site-tester-2017. ... e-fodmaps/

Regards,
Why is that a good sign ?
No, have not been tested for FODMAP troubles.

Also, I'm not planning on taking dantrolene.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Not having aches and pains from the exercise you're doing suggests to me that you aren't in bad shape at all. In my case it has been a continuing battle to unlock the tightness that causes those effects. Hence dry needling, botox injections, dantrium and a significant amount of massage all play a role freeing up both muscles and fascia so that I can move. if you don't experience the pain then you are starting well ahead because pain free movement implies you do not have a significant problem with rigor bonds. I am, of course, assuming that you are testing your limits when you exercise.
Your focus can be more on managing fatigue and inflammation.

The CoQ10, aceytl-l-carnitine and magnesium will together help with fatigue. FODMAP testing could help identify things that aggravate your pancolitis and hence reduce inflammation.

The program in the links on this page is about why a FODMAP diet may help you http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4751097.htm

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

I am, of course, assuming that you are testing your limits when you exercise.
What do you mean by, "testing your limits " ?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

This is why I like taking instruction when I exercise. Sometimes when I'm left to my own devices I'll work within a range and think that I'm doing well. Very small adjustments completely change how you use your muscles. As an example, some exercises I do badly feel fine to me until I am told to straighten my leg or not use my arms by bending them etc, etc. That subtle change makes it much harder and I am forced to engage different muscle groups that should be involved but I need to be reminded that they should be activated. You will struggle to retrain your body on your own.
I like the ex dancers who teach pilates because they look at the manner of movement. Their eye is trained to assess the inconsistencies. Someone urging you on to lift that extra load or peddle a few minutes longer is just missing the point if you do it with a poor action.
If someone just counts repetetions or measures success by the force involved (eg lifting weights) then you may be just practicing your mistakes. Every movement needs to be correct because it's about functional control. Relearning the correct sequence can be hard and your body, if you have a lot of rigor bonds in your muscles, will really complain about having to do it the right way. A tight body will cheat all the time but if it complains then you can have a look at that area and work to correct it.
I'm surprised (but happy for you) that you don't experience any pain. If you are doing things as correct movements then that is great but the real test comes when you challenge those muscles by making the movements more extreme than needed in daily life.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Here's an example of the NuStep machine:

Regarding how my muscles are:

1 - I wouldn't consider them locked up. Instead, They contract more more as time goes by if they're not stretched or used. After waking in the morning, with the first movements I make, they spasm fast and hard. They will also spasm during the day if I haven't been moving for a while, but very mild compared to in the morning.

2 - When I used to get down on the gym mat I have and stretch, I would stretch for 20 - 40 minutes. When I got up on my feet afterward, I would feel kind of loose and rubbery.

3 - Most movements have a good range of motion. but it doesn't come naturally as the muscles have tightened up. A few minutes of stretching will usually bring the range of motion back.

4 - Late at night, if I've eaten enough and drank enough water throughout the day and evening, my muscles are FAR less tight :-D and I can actually take a few steps unaided. This ability comes about even if I haven't been moving much at all for hours. It has something to do with time, eating, drinking, and/or something(s) else.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Your machine is good for what it is designed to do. It won't work your psoas, your iliosoas,your external rotators or your mutitifidus. All major issues for me.

It will barely activate your glute med. It wont touch anything lateral in your trunk. It would kill my periformis and if I had still had Trochanteric Bursitis I would be in agony using it. It will not stretch your hip flexors, your TFL or greatly improve flexion at the ankle. You will be working inside a range, not extending it.

If your shoulders and scapula are tight then it won't be enjoyable at all. Nonetheless, it is good for what it is designed to do.

You are very lucky to not be so tight. Certainly keep using it . If walking is an issue and you can manage that machine then look at the psoas. Pilates instructors are all over that muscle. If you want to test yours then try a sit up from lying on your back.

The tightness you experience on stretching, given the capacity you seem to seem to have, is probably going to respond best to massage.

I still feel you would benefit from eccentric muscle movement and you won't get that using the machine. Certainly keep using the machine but look up some stuff on the psoas and make sure it is worked and stretched.

Although your arms and legs are all moving that machine wont give you full body integration because it substitutes its motion for core activation.

Perhaps try a small Pilates class with no more than four people as students using the studio equipment (not matwork) and see where you are.

Pilates works on strengthening the muscle in an elongated position. That machine doesn't really extend your functional range.

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Today, I just started (kind of) looking for a Pilates instructor.

Below are links to the equipment that I have at home that I have used, at least somewhat, in the past:

https://www.bodycraft.com/vr500-pro-rowing-machine.html
https://www.topfitnessmag.com/recumbent ... tic-900xl/

https://www.bosu.com/bosu-3d-system
http://www.americanfloormats.com/all-pu ... -gym-mats/ I have the (2" Thick - 4' x 8') version.

I bought the rowing machine back in 2012. My rowing form was good in the beginning, but a few months later, after not many uses, my legs started to spread out when I went forward. What do I have to do to have good form again :?: I asked the physical therapy people and they did not know.
I currently use the exercise bicycle, but not the others.
I want to get back into using all the equipment.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

The rowing machine will work the psoas, the leg muscles and the upper body but the people who really get the most out of it are rowers. Generally they also row and they get an even better workout doing that. Usually those machines are used in competitive rowing as an endurance test to pick which crew you end up in. Technique is sorted out on the water.

Pilates is all about technique. I've often seen elite athletes who are rippling with muscle make a complete mess of a pilates exercise. They are trained for explosive power not whole body integration. How many times have you seen an elite athlete tear a hamstring, wreck an ACL, dislocate a shoulder etc? Those soft tissue injuries are what Pilates helps prevent. Take a visit to a ballet and think about the control the dancers display. That is whole body integration. Think of your favourite athlete and how stupid he would look trying to do ballet. It's something outside the range for him.

In Pilates you want access to a reformer, a cadillac and a high barrel. You need a small class so you get the attention you need. A mat class where it looks like an aerobics class lying down is definitely the wrong place. It's all about doing movements correctly. Sometimes there is absolutely no weight involved at all but you are terrified that you might kill yourself because of it!

If you liked swings, roundabouts, monkey bars and seesaws when you were a kid then try a find that inner child again. This time you will be working harder but the thrill of doing something extraordinary is still there.

Regards,