1st movement after waking triggers violent muscle spasms

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: 1st movement after waking triggers violent muscle spasms

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

You've done really well to be so aware of what impacts you. If I was in your position I'd stay away from gluten and any added sugar (naturally occurring is ok). Aside from what we've discussed on supplementation, it might help to keep a food diary so it's easier to look for patterns associated with tightness.

Where you have described the tightness sounds like you will have to do some work to undo it. If there is noticeable tightness then your pelvis is likely tilted out of neutral. Up the front of your legs it will feel it in the pectineus, quads, hip flexors and significantly the iliopsoas. If you have trouble externally rotating (eg action to get on a horse, swing your leg over a low fence) then it will be the periformis. On the side near the iliopsoas it could be the TFL (tensor fasciae latae). Down the leg it could be the ITB (Iliotibial band). Sometimes it can be driven by where they all originate from. Down the back of the leg it can be hamstrings, calves etc. Your back can have a tight muscle around the spine called the multifidus. When they switch off a stooped, round should posture develops which adds to strain elsewhere.

The issue will be to strengthen those muscles and make them flexible when they are elongated. You will need a good massage person going over you trying to release them. When it hurts rather than just say "ouch" say "what's that muscle called?". Hopefully they are good enough to know. This is what I did. I took that knowledge to my pilates instructor and said "this is the muscle I need to exercise". As that style of exercise aims to isolate the muscle you can actually get to work it.

Additionally, I would strongly suggest some dry needling on those tight spots. The needle is the same as an acupuncture needle but the aim is to make micro tears in the fascia at that exact spot rather than stimulate some pathway. Everything in your body is covered in fascia. It is the connective tissue that stops us being a puddle on the floor and gives us our shape but it can get tight. It is more to do with sore muscles than the muscles themselves.

So address infections, boost ATP formation, avoid inflammation (blah blah blah etc) but definitely do something to move and strengthen those muscles or they will lock up and the fascia will tighten around them to leave them in that position.

For what its worth, this is what I put in my mouth

Supplements. Morning 500mg Valacyclovir, 2000mg aceytl-l-carnitine, Magnesium tablet, curcumin tablet, 25mg Dantrium (heavy duty drug)
Breakfast Apple Juice,1 naturally ripened banana, 2 boiled eggs, 1 whole avocado
Lunch Something light (soup, Japanese/asian stuff etc)
Dinner Meat and root vegetables
Night same supplements plus 750mg CoQ10
No gluten, no added sugar, almost no alcohol,

Good luck.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

King Oscar sardines; this page has a nice description (with pictures). I don't know why the package isn't red, but that's okay.
http://paleoheretic.com/king-oscar-cros ... es-review/
Last edited by THX1138 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

k thx! i'll spare you the packaging tirade ;)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

k thx! i'll spare you the packaging tirade ;)
:confused: But I'm glad that I've been spared. Phew
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

:-D :-D Thank You Guys for your ideas :-D :-D

btw, I'm NOT saying this to mean something like, "That's enough now."
Last edited by THX1138 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

A question regarding Chronic dehydration - I will be eating fish three times a week. Should I be doing anything else for the Chronic dehydration :?:
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

with the idea of revisiting previous mention of electrolytes, what's the rest of the mineral regimen again? besides magnesium?

maybe review your daily intakes from food and fluids against public health recommendations (it's a big page you'll need to scroll a bit to find specifics):

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... -2005.html
http://www.whfoods.com/nutrientstoc.php
https://www.healthaliciousness.com/arti ... -foods.php
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

with the idea of revisiting previous mention of electrolytes, what's the rest of the mineral regimen again? besides magnesium?
Zinc - 60 mg per day (I still need to get the copper)
Boron - 3 mg per day

My hands have just heated up (over an hour after eating). Now they are nice and warm. After having two meals today - chicken lentil stew and salad with chicken & two hamburgers. I went into a daze and felt dried out, needing to drink a lot of water after eating.
7:00pm I ate my third and final meal for the day - one third of a cucumber, one tennis ball-sized tomato, a can of sardines and some plantain chips. With this meal my hands became warm during the meal.
8:15 pm I rode my recumbent exercise bicycle slowly for 5 minutes. After just a minute or two my hands went from being a little bit warm two very warm and tingly; I warmed up also. It is 73 degrees at my place and I'm dressed in shorts and a t-shirt as I usually am.
My head is a lot clearer then it was during the day. I'm starting to feel kind of good now.

ALSO Now I've totally quit the Paleo AIP because I had gluten and dairy earlier today. I really needed to eat more. I may return to the Paleo AIP but not now.
Last edited by THX1138 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

If you ate a meal but you had a blood sugar abnormality (like diabetes) then your kidneys would go into overdrive trying to flush the sugar. Consequently you lose a lot of water in the process and dehydrate. Have you been checked for blood sugars?

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Maybe I should find the blood glucose monitor that I have that I bought for preventative purposes. Or maybe I should buy a new one so I can check my blood sugar. I think that would be a good thing.

Glucose
70 - 99 mg/dL
10/17/14, 10/31/14, 9/1/15, 10/13/15, 2/24/16, 10/21/16, 1/9/17, 1/21/17, 1/22/17, 1/23/17
93, 81, 101, 80, 88, 115, 95, 94, 99, 95

Please see my message two messages up. I've been continuing to update it.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok re minerals, zinc and boron are a start. i meant the question more broadly, ie including food, and at the same time more narrowly, ie with a focus on electrolytes.

estimated daily dietary calcium intake? phosphate? potassium? (we already established that K is probably low, but how low specifically? let's say, rounded to the nearest 500mgs?). from the DRI tables, how far off are you from recommended intakes for your gender and age (keeping in mind that these are intended as maintenance intakes for healthy ppl)

given your plan for higher zinc intake in the month ahead, you should be able to handle some gluten and dairy, but no need to go crazy. you'll potentially take a bit of a hit in the zinc absorption department that will correspond with levels of gluten, phytate, sugar, dairy and so on in diet. not to say eliminate all such things, but be aware that daily zinc needs increase when they are in the mix. there's a related article or two of potential interest (emphasizing phytate impacts) in the natural approach forum under the zinc and MS topic.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Have you had fasting glucose tests?

Regards,
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

THX1138 wrote:A question regarding Chronic dehydration - I will be eating fish three times a week. Should I be doing anything else for the Chronic dehydration :?:
I find that drinking herbal tea like peppermint and chamomile (or a combination of the two) reduces urinary urgency as opposed to drinking straight water.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

estimated daily dietary calcium intake? phosphate? potassium? (we already established that K is probably low, but how low specifically? let's say, rounded to the nearest 500mgs?).
Because I eat erratically and i'm doing very poorly these days and I do almost nothing during the day, I don't know.
Have you had fasting glucose tests?
Most of the blood glucose results that I put above were after not eating for 8 to 10 hours.
I find that drinking herbal tea like peppermint and chamomile (or a combination of the two) reduces urinary urgency as opposed to drinking straight water
8:00am I ate 4 small apples
9:00am 2 cups lentil chicken vegetable stew with plantain chips.
Good news: :-D My hands got warm and tingly :-D while I was eating the stew. However my leg and hip muscles became tighter as they usually do after eating.
10:00pm One banana and a handful of peanuts
After eating this I went into a fog
4:30pm Three Turkey sticks, tortilla chips, and guacamole
:-D My hands heated up:-D
Last edited by THX1138 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

you can look up what food choices are doing for your electrolytes and other essentials via sites like whfoods.

eg 1 med apple provides 1% of daily calcium requirement (and 2% Mg, 3% P, 6% K etc etc)
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=15

those numbers are in terms of DV% - which applies to anyone aged 2yrs and up, so you probably would do better to look at actual daily calcium needs for your age and gender, scale up if you are above average height/weight (those who are active would scale up again) and then you'll have the real % of your daily calcium etc needs delivered via 1 med apple).

i have not eaten enough today but have snacked on a cup of leftover steamed kale, with a couple bites of lamb, and a little gravy. the kale got me up to 9% of daily calcium needs (but that again is just the blanket dv for anyone 2-y-o and up).