Trigeminal neuralgia

A forum to discuss living with trigeminal neuralgia for people with MS.
koneall
Family Elder

Trigeminal neuralgia

Post by koneall »

Is numbness a sign of MS? I read that pain in that area is a sign but for me it's numbness as if I've just been to the dentist. The numbness affects the lateral side of the mouth and upper teeth, places innervated by the trigeminal nerve.

kaypeeoh
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Trigeminal neuralgia

Post by jimmylegs »

hi :)

it's not a make or break diagnostic feature. depends what else is going on. there's a very long (~80) list of things to go through before arriving at an ms dx.

nothing to do with ms, but interesting:
The Study of Calcium, Phosphonium, Magnesium, and Ferrum Concentration in Serum of Patients With Primary Trigeminal Neuralgia
http://journals.lww.com/jcraniofacialsu ... nd.96.aspx
"In primary TN patients, the concentration of Ca, P, Mg in serum is lower than the control group obviously (P <0.05), but the concentration of Fe in serum is higher than the control group obviously (P <0.05)."

i have some problems with this article (eg am not used to seeing the word 'obviously' used where i would expect 'significantly', and never mind the rest of the sentence structure). i don't have full text access so can't take a closer look, but there are some take-away messages that could be useful follow up items anyway.

specifically, do you have bloodwork results for serum calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and ferritin?
(please don't say 'all normal' - am asking about actual numeric results, with units, whether low- mid- or high-normal)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

jimmylegs wrote:i have some problems with this article (eg am not used to seeing the word 'obviously' used where i would expect 'significantly', and never mind the rest of the sentence structure). i don't have full text access so can't take a closer look, but there are some take-away messages that could be useful follow up items anyway.
Consider it lost in translation. The authors are Chinese.
  • "Department of Neurosurgery, Xinhua Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China."
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

哦,我知道。我已经标明了CFL ELL学生的工作。他们的英文写作比我的中文写作更好,除了使用谷歌翻译的人。我可以做同样的事情!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Effect of coenzyme Q10 on mitochondrial respiratory proteins in trigeminal neuralgia. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29424256

consumerlab.com wrote that 100mg coenzyme Q10 taken 3 times a day for 2 months along with standard medication significantly reduced the pain of trigeminal neuralgia. They cited the above stud