PPMS vs RRMS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ebrownkirkland
Family Member

PPMS vs RRMS

Post by ebrownkirkland »

Hi, all. My husband was diagnosed with RRMS back in May, and I was diagnosed with the same thing in July (I know--what are the odds, right??), but my my husband's MS seems to be progressing much more quickly than mine is, and I'm worried that he might have PPMS rather than RRMS. His diagnosis began with optic neuritis and bladder issues (the MRIs were done to rule out ocular migraines), followed by spasms in his foot. He was diagnosed following the usual tests (VEP, MRIs, spinal tap) and prescribed Tecfidera, but in the past month or so, his MS seems to have progressed, and I'm worried because it seems to be progressing much faster than mine is. Most recently, he is having trouble finding words, and he is also developing spasms in different locations (he woke up one morning with one of his hands in spasm mode). Could it be that he has PPMS instead of RRMS? How are the two different?
Snoopy
Family Elder

Re: PPMS vs RRMS

Post by Snoopy »

Hi ebrownkirkland,

Each person experiences this disease differently, for this reason it is important not to compare you're disease course to someone else's. I understand in your case it would be hard not to do. Progression has to do with disability.

Information on types of MS:
http://www.momentummagazineonline.com/m ... s-revised/
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Nation ... _table.pdf

It would be a good idea for your husband to consult with his Neurologist.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Both types of MS can progress at different rates, so I don't think you can tell what type he has from the rate of progression. This article gives a brief description of the various types https://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosi ... es-in-ms#1

Does your husband have relapses and remissions? If so then he has RRMS. Although it might be too early to tell based on the DX date. It could be that he is having a relapse and may recover somewhat from that.

How old was your husband when it started?
The age of onset is usually late 20s to mid 30s for RRMS and maybe early to mid 40s for PPMS. But it can start at any age for either type. MS is a screwy disease. It is difficult to say anything for certain about it.

I wish you and your husband well.
ebrownkirkland
Family Member

Post by ebrownkirkland »

My husband was diagnosed at the age of 44, but after reading more about PPMS vs RRMS, I have determined that RRMS is probably more likely (and what his doctor diagnosed him with) because he doesn't have any spinal cord lesions. I don't have any spinal cord lesions either, so that's good news as well. I just turned 40 in June but began having symptoms about seven years ago.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

I had the CCSVI procedure in 2010. I had many improvements, some permanent. I believe I have never been anything but RRMS but the neurologists have decided for me, that I am SPMS. They have taken away my driver's license. I am improving steadily since I started on biotin 2.5 years ago. Mt eyesight is the latest thing to improve. I intend to see an eye doctor to verify this. Because of my imprisonment in the SPMS diagnosis I have fortunately avoided the ill effects of any of the so-called DMDs. Yesterday I played catch with a 5-lb sand ball with my PSW. The day before that I went on about a 10km trike ride. I have a recumbent Terratrike that I rebuilt with an electric wheel. I also have managed the installation of a 10kW solar array on my roof. I think MS patients need to fight hard. Once a person thinks of you as disabled they will never treat you the same way.

If you are diagnosed after 40, you likely do not have PPMS. A friend of mine died at 30 with that. If you have RRMS it may eventually become SP. If you take biotin you may avoid that, or at least make it less severe. Don't ask me. I don't know.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

1eye
Your accomplishments are impressive. You're doing better than I am. May I ask what your EDSS score is?
And why did they take your driver's license? Does Ontario automatically do that if you have SPMS? Or was there a specific condition that caused them to revoke it?

Thanks
Dave
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

just chiming in quick on the ontario drivers license thing. i almost lost mine when describing cog issues which had affected my driving to my neuro. luckily by that time i had figured things out and fixed the problem, so dodged the bullet). 1eye depending on what happened in your case, maybe you will be able to requalify at some point.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.