is a twitching eye a symptom?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ebrownkirkland
Family Member

is a twitching eye a symptom?

Post by ebrownkirkland »

I have a question for you all... For going on three days now, my left eye has been twitching, and it is driving me NUTS! This week I think I have been excessively tired (and VERY stressed out). I know I got enough sleep last night, though... Is this an MS thing? (As I mentioned, I have been under a lot of stress lately, at work and at home, and for the past few days I have been exceedingly fatigued. In fact, up until last night, hadn't gotten much sleep.) I realize that not everything can be related to MS, but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if it's something I need to let my doctor know about. I know the other night I had pretty bad double vision again--that comes on pretty much anytime I am extremely fatigued and/or stressed out.
Snoopy
Family Elder

Re: is a twitching eye a symptom?

Post by Snoopy »

Hi ebrownkirkland,

A twitching eye is so very common, in a general sense. It would be easy to find just about anyone in the general population that has experienced this.

What you have mentioned, fatigue, stress, lack of sleep, can cause eye twitching and would be the most likely cause in your case. However, this can also be muscle spasms due to MS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

one quick thing you could try:

31,500 results on google search for eye twitch magnesium:
https://www.google.ca/search?client=ope ... OfXo3RqYAG

7780 results on google scholar search for nystagmus magnesium:
https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl=en ... gmus&btnG=

how much daily mag do you need? (recall extra is needed if active, under stress, take certain meds, consume alcohol, etc etc etc)
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magne ... fessional/

are you getting that much from food/fluid intakes?
fyi re magnesium dense whole foods:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... #foodchart

do you need a supplement to meet daily needs?
fyi re soluble/absorbable (ie into tissue vs acting as a laxative) magnesium supplement:
http://orangenaturals.com/essential/mag ... g-60v-cap/
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ebrownkirkland
Family Member

Post by ebrownkirkland »

Thanks. I actually do take magnesium--a separate supplement that has 500 mg, along with a daily multivitamin that also has magnesium. I might add that I do this per your recommendation, jimmylegs. :wink: It definitely seems to have helped with the spasms in my legs. They aren't nearly as severe as they once were (though I do take Baclofen as well).

Yeah, I know everyone's eyes twitch from time to time due to lack of sleep and stress--the reason I wondered about it this time was because I got plenty of sleep last night and I'm now on day 3 of twitches.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ha i had not even noticed who had posted smh i just posted quickly en rte to taking care of something else.
glad you have gotten the leg spasms under some control. what form of mag in the 500mg supplement and in the multi?

next intuitive stop, potassium :) but before digging in on that, what's your entire current regimen, in case any other potentially obvious thing leaps out?
hydration etc all good?
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

mention of baclofen made me recall this case study (except as it turned out, it was about gabapentin instead - still interesting though)

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... ml#p246096

'Gabapentin for intractable hiccups in a patient undergoing peritoneal dialysis
http://www.pdiconnect.com/content/28/6/667.extract
"Hiccups are involuntary, rhythmic, spasmodic contractions of the diaphragm. ... hiccups became frequent and severe enough to produce insomnia, anorexia, and weight loss. His other medical problems included hypertension, ischemic heart disease, gout and anemia secondary to ESRF. ... Laboratory investigations were as follows: .... magnesium 0.66 mmol/L ... gabapentin was further increased to 600 mg nightly, leading to the hiccups disappearing over a 3 month follow up period"

frustrating that the docs would allow apparently symptomatic mag deficit to persist, and try to treat the symptoms with a pharma product, without even giving essential mag a chance at the issue, apparently for fear of mag excess in dialysis.'

lol time has mellowed me. post from 3 yrs previous:

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/undiagnos ... ml#p222848
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bump
jimmylegs wrote:...but before digging in on that, what's your entire current regimen, in case any other potentially obvious thing leaps out?
hydration etc all good?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

bump
ebrownkirkland
Family Member

Post by ebrownkirkland »

Sorry--you had asked what form of magnesium I'm taking It is a tablet. And it is 250 mg, I think--not 500 as I posted before. Interestingly, it is one supplement that people are encouraged to take from what I've read.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hello! two questions i guess.
older:
"what form of mag in the 500mg supplement and in the multi?

whether 500, or 250, or two of the 250 tablets, with my question re form i am actually asking about whether it's magnesium oxide, magnesium citrate, magnesium malate, magnesium taurate, magnesium glycinate, or a combination of a few diff kinds. each behaves differently. they can be more or less soluble, the form can be organic or inorganic (in the chemistry sense), and as a result the diff forms can be more or less absorbable, more or less laxative, etc.

and more recently:
"but before digging in on that, what's your entire current regimen, in case any other potentially obvious thing leaps out?
hydration etc all good?"

the question about the remainder of the regimen relates to interactions between different kinds of supplements. i'd be looking for details on how much of each thing you take, at what times of day, which things are taken together and which separately on their own, that kind of detail. hope that makes sense!