Really struggling with everything

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Daisycat
Family Member

Re: Really struggling with everything

Post by Daisycat »

I don’t need to see someone who will try to convince me a life as a cripple is something I should live for. I will not live that way and I’m not going to pay someone money to tell me being a disabled cripple isn’t bad. I’m going to do everything I can to prevent myself from needing to kill myself, but it is what it is. I will not live As a cripple
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

from the no salt effect corner:

No association between dietary sodium intake and the risk of multiple sclerosis
http://www.neurology.org/content/89/13/1322.short
n=479, results adjusted for poss confounding factors

Sodium intake and multiple sclerosis activity and progression in BENEFIT
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 24965/full
n=465

and from the opposing salt effect corner:

Sodium intake is associated with increased disease activity in multiple sclerosis
http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/86/1/26.short
n=122

and no sodium effect takes an early 944-122 lead
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Daisycat
Family Member

Post by Daisycat »

When I’m not on my phone I’ll post all the sites I found about why sodium is bad. To much work to do it from my phone
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

studies with n values included, or they don't count ;)

But Words Will Never Hurt Me
https://osf.io/b2nxg/download?format=pdf
"One issue with our stimuli selection may have been that many of the words that were thought to be offensive to members of specific groups were not necessarily ‘traditional’ taboo words. While they may be derogatory and offensive, they are not typically censored in the media, nor are they universally replaced with euphemisms in formal settings. Some examples of derogatory (though not necessarily taboo) words included fat, glutton, tubby, and cripple.
Additionally, many of the taboo words we assessed could easily be included in more than one category, making it difficult to determine whether they were particularly offensive to one group or another."
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Daisycat wrote:When I’m not on my phone I’ll post all the sites I found about why sodium is bad. To much work to do it from my phone
A few things that I think I know about sodium and salt:

1. The sodium to potassium intake ratio is much more important than the total sodium intake.
2. Consuming real salt, and not the highly processed refined "salt" (sodium chloride and additives) is greatly preferred, health-wise.

Here is a salt that I like, called Salt for Life:
Each quarter teaspoon contains:
180 mg potassium
140 mg sodium
https://nuteksalt.com/saltforlife

It is a combination of potassium chloride from Canada and sea salt.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Daisycat wrote:I don’t need to see someone who will try to convince me a life as a cripple is something I should live for. I will not live that way and I’m not going to pay someone money to tell me being a disabled cripple isn’t bad. I’m going to do everything I can to prevent myself from needing to kill myself, but it is what it is. I will not live As a cripple
Some strong denial phase here...

You are not in a state to make logical decisions which is perfectly normal. I think nobody here can help you until you get some professional help.

You can eat 10-15 grams of salt today or drink lots of alcohol and I say nothing will happen. So as a beginning, do yourself a favor, please go to a psychiatrist. We can't help you for now. Talking diet or supplements is meaningless now, first you need to have your inner peace. Please listen me and others. Go to a psychiatrist, have a step forward. Please :peace:
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

well, alcohol strips nutrients and can certainly help make any existing nutrient deficit situation worse. sure the chances that tomorrow is the last straw are slim, but permanent damage can be done. magnesium is a perfect example. deficit increases stress and anxiety. on their own, stress and anxiety contribute to magnesium loss. alcohol exacerbates this magnesium excretion, and other nutrients critical for ms patients as well. this is a harmful feedback loop and magnesium is only one piece of that complex puzzle.

two related recent forum posts: http://bit.ly/2lBUiZh

i hear what others are saying too. i must say that when i was diagnosed i found it best to construct a complete health support team and in addition to a gp, the neuro, the naturopath, physiotherapists and the dietitian, that a counselor was also definitely in the mix. i don't remember what this person's qualifications were exactly. her contribution was to act as a sounding board outside my immediate family and the rest of the health care circle. while going, i felt she wasn't able to offer much in the way of a psychological approach that i considered viable for me (i've forgotten the details but whatever it was sounded flaky) and the rest of the time she basically listened to me and then told me i was amazing and great lol. i don't recall any attempts at a prescription and whatever the reason was for that, i appreciate it so much :)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Daisycat wrote:I can’t stop worrying about what I eat I
Because diet Can Impact If flare ups happen. I’d rather not have to kill myself so anything , no matter how small, I can do to prevent a flare I’ll do. The sodium thing was from everything I read about diets for ms. Basic summary is you never eat anything with taste again.
Salt's overrated as a seasoning. Try to teach your palate some new tricks. Try cayenne pepper and ginger. Umm good! :wtf:
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Oh, and go for a walk!

jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

k to na ratio good reminder. from what i recall of the days i paid attention to sodium, i took on these bits.
1, K to Na intake ratio should be around 2:1.
2. in most processed foods, this ratio is more like 1:5
3. 75% of average joe public's sodium consumption is from processed foods (including cheese - when i add cheese to something i consider it 'salted')
my takeaway points, stick with the whole foods track i had been on all along, but mix it up to increase diversity and nutrient density of foods consumed.

just had home made oats and mixed whole berries with a bit of milk and maple syrup for breakfast. i did put a sprinkle of salt in the oats when i cooked them and have no problem with that.

the slice of three-greens spinakopita i'll have for lunch is full of delicious healthful herbs and i added no salt to the filling - there was some crumbled feta in there. the sauce i'll have on it is made with plain yogurt, fresh dill, fresh lemon and some garlic powder, and it's salted to taste.

at dinner i may have some homemade lentil soup. i used to be able to find canned lentil soup which actually specified its awesome potassium to sodium info on the label but i have not been able to find it since and most canned soups are horrific for sodium so, homemade it is. today i'll probably sprinkle salt on the serving, along with some plain yogurt and chopped fresh parsley. with salt, it's always better to season the serving in front of you, than the pot.

it's funny as i write these things i'm remembering conversations and contexts and guess it's been about 9 years since i built this kind of thing into my routine. and then pretty much forgot about it all. it's just life. i ration particularly salty things for sure but that's part of limting processed food overall, not just salt. eg ordering pizza once every one or two months only. that's a fat and phytate strategy in addition to a sodium ration.

and, ^ yep excercise is a known antidepressant in addition to its other benefits. i know you're working out but that can be overdone as well!
Daisycat
Family Member

Post by Daisycat »

There is no finding peace with this. Every day I just want to die more than the day before. I have to live for nothing
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok have personally offered all comments and support i can for now. time to refocus on me and others who are taking action.

pity parties are an energy vampire no one can afford. not here at TiMS, not from my perspective anyway. i hear there are other forums out there that operate more along those lines.

i (and others i am sure) wiil be here when you refocus on health and are looking for support for *personal growth* and *action*.

til then, good luck and all the best :)
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

What really disturbs me about your posts is how you look down on disability. There are many people who visit these pages who have real problems that do make your issues look trivial. Your attitude is very unfair and hurtful to them.

It seems obvious that if your boyfriend rather than you had a diagnosis of MS that you would drop him without a moments thought. He wouldn't be good enough for you anymore.

Go and have a look in the mirror and ask yourself how others see you.

The people who have responded to you have your best interests at heart and you have rubbed their noses in it.

You're actually in the perfect position to make small adjustments to your life and make a big difference. However you are so self absorbed that you do not listen.

As JL said we are here when you need us. You obviously have bigger problems than MS. Stop using that as an excuse.
Last edited by Scott1 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daisycat
Family Member

Post by Daisycat »

There is no growth with ms. There is nothing but sadness and a ruined life. I want to die but I’m not strong enough yet to kill myself. I will never accept this ruined life I now have. It’s not fair and I don’t deserve it. Why would I not look down on ms? There is nothing good about it. It left me with nothing to live for and I don’t see it being different for other people. And if my attitude hurts people I don’t care. I’ll be where they are in 10 years. I’ll just choose death over suffering every day. I also wouldn’t leave my bf if he was the one suffering from this life ruining disease. My problem is my life is over because of ms. There is nothing left to look forward to in life.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

What a load of rubbish. Think what your attitude is doing to your boyfriend. I admire him for putting up with it but no one will listen to this for long.

Nearly everything you have said is wrong. You prejudge everyone else, you prejudge yourself and you say absolutely nothing that is sensible.

You can't even articulate what's going on yet you have declared yourself an expert on MS.

Whatever your problem is, it is not your MS. You need to find some one who will let this nonsense come out of your own mouth so you can hear what your saying. It's not about MS.

Return to “General Discussion”