Should I tell my boss?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Daisycat
Family Member

Should I tell my boss?

Post by Daisycat »

I’m trying to decide if I should tell my boss about this. I would love a set schedule because some of the long hours I work sometimes are exhausting. The problem is I’ve done it happily for 3 years, and it will look strange if I suddenly want to stop. I would like to think she’s a better person than to try to fire me or get me to quit over this, but so many people know nothing about this disease. I admit I knew nothing until I was diagnosed. I spent that entire first night in the hospital reading horror stories and planning to write my will. The internet has some scary stuff out there and I don’t want her to read the same stuff I did and think I’m incompetent. I’m thinking it might be best to hold off until around January. This way I can tell her I’ve had this for at least 5-6 months and I’m still one of the hardest working people here. Anyone have any advice on how to handle this?
Boudreaux
Getting to Know You...

Re: Should I tell my boss?

Post by Boudreaux »

If you're comfortable telling, do so. If not, then don't. You don't have to say anything and it's against the law to fire you. If performance is not impacted why would it matter what you have?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Should I tell my boss?

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

It's a tricky question to answer. I had no choice as I was carted off to hospital so you can't keep secrets that way.

Some workplaces can be very political and squeeze you out. It's going to depend on why they need to know?

Most people are fair about it.

Regards,

Return to “General Discussion”