Massage Chairs - MUCH more than a vibrating chair

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
THX1138
Family Elder

Massage Chairs - MUCH more than a vibrating chair

Post by THX1138 »

A while back, I was at a big furniture store and I sat down and one of their automatic massage chairs. This was a chair that gave back and foot massages; it was not a vibrating chair. I don't recall feeling better while the chair was running. However, when the massage was done, I just sat there in awe, savoring the blissful, peaceful feelings. I was kind of feeling like a new person. I also was able to move better after the massage. These feelings gradually subsided over the next few hours or so.

Has anyone else ever tried an automatic massage chair :?:

Does anyone know if massage chairs work as well as human massages :?:

I've had a few massages from a person and I felt quite good afterward, but I think I felt even better after sitting in the massage chair for about 15 minutes.

Right now, I plan on getting a massage chair, one way or another. That way I could have at least one massage every day without having to leave my home.
Last edited by THX1138 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Re: Massage Chairs

Post by Anonymoose »

Hi THX,

I’ve got a relatively low end ($2-3k) monster of a massage chair. I don’t get to use it much because it’s in my office and I’m required elsewhere most of the time but I love it. It’s best at working your back and feet, not so therapeutic for your neck, bum, and legs. I’d say I feel the same after a chair session as I do after a pro human massage. In fact, I might feel a little better as it’s more relaxing. I don’t have to schedule an appt, go out for a massage, or engage in mindless small talk AND I can work my knots out without suffering at the hands of an overzealous masseuse knuckling away at my knots while I squirm in pain. Lol.

The only thing I dislike about the chair is that it’s pretty ugly. Even hidden away in my office, I have to bury it in throws and pillows to hide the space age look. I also got it in cream colored pleather so it doesn’t look as “man cave” as the black ones do. It takes up a large footprint if you want it to be able to recline...only workable if you’ve got the space.

Hope that helps...it would be a great gift to yourself (aka toomy frummy)!
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

THX1138 wrote:A while back, I was at a furniture store and I sat down and one of their automatic massage chairs. The particular model that I tried was a $5,000 Cozzia. Automatic massage chairs vary greatly in price from under $1,000 to over $10,000. I turned it on, and it gave me a massage from my lower neck/upper back down to my feet. I don't recall feeling better while the chair was running. However, when the massage was done, I just sat there in awe, savoring the blissful, peaceful feelings. I was feeling like a new person. I also was able to move better after the massage. These feelings gradually subsided over the next few hours or so.

Has anyone else ever tried an automatic massage chair :?:

Does anyone know if massage chairs work as well as human massages :?:

I've had a few massages from a person and I felt quite good afterward, but I think I felt even better after sitting in the massage chair for 20 minutes.

Right now, I plan on getting a massage chair, one way or another. That way I could have at least one massage every day without having to leave my home.
Greetings,

That's a great way to get your blood/cerebro-spinal fluids circulating better which for me is the key to better CCSVI-MS health. Also, using it on rising in the morning should give you the boost you need to start the day, (and maybe it can resolve the severe morning cramps/spasms.)

Best regards, Vesta
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I have one and thought it was helping but in the end I realized it was not - I have used it so much that I don't enjoy it any more.

"Does anyone know if massage chairs work as well as human massages"
Probably depends on the chair

In any case, all that is important is that it works for you.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

I have one and thought it was helping but in the end I realized it was not - I have used it so much that I don't enjoy it any more.
ElliotB, I'm curious to find out some more details about your massage chair experience such as what model of chair you have, what did it not help that you had thought it was helping, etc.

I'm thinking that a massage chair would be really good for me, but I would like to be able to possibly explain away to myself (with facts) any information that would suggest otherwise.

Thanks
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

If you shop at Costco, then you might want to take a look at what they offer.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... ageSize=96

There's also Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/cozzia-massage-c ... ge%20chair

Though you'll probably need some help moving it after Amazon drops off one of these units "on your doorstep."
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I thought the massaging was helping reduce my pain level and frequency. But I now feel the massage was more of a distraction and after stopping its use noticed no difference (I had to stop using it at one point as I was in pain from the massaging because I had been using the chair so often.

I have an old Sharper Image massage chair that I have had for well over 10 years that I originally got for my wife. I used it extensively over a 1-2 year period until about a year or so ago. The newer chairs are a lot more comfortable and give a much better massage.

"I'm thinking that a massage chair would be really good for me, but I would like to be able to possibly explain away to myself (with facts) any information that would suggest otherwise."

Sometimes, there is no explanation available. Buy a massage chair from a store that accepts returns and if you discover you are not happy with it, return it. (And of course, it may work for you even though it may not for someone else.)
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

I've been reading and watching a lot of material from this site; it has loads of information and the president of the company, Dr. Alan Weidner, is a chiropractor. He seems to have done many of the articles and videos.

https://www.massage-chair-relief.com/ma ... _benefits/
Why You Need A Massage Chair
Here a few of the benefits of massage chair ownership:

When you think about all of your aches and pains, your dearest wish in the world might be to have a massage therapist on call 24 hours a day, but that's certainly not going to happen! When you want the sensible, affordable option, consider a massage chair recliner. You can get the same results that you would with a licensed massage therapist at a fraction of the price.

A massage chair can give you a feeling of deep relaxation and it can also contribute to the lessening of your daily stress. You will find that it can calm you down at the end of a long day and that it can even put you to sleep! Why not see what it has to offer?

People who are prone to stiff muscles and who have pain in their back and neck find that a massage chair is perfect for them. Their muscles that are too tense will relax over time and you will find that even chronic aches can be banished in this fashion. You may even find that you can reduce your chiropractor visits thanks to this mechanical marvel.

You'll also find that your massage chair can be extremely healthy for you. It improves the flow of blood and lymph and at the end of the day, you will find that this contributes to making sure that the harmful toxins are more easily removed from your body. More oxygen will also be able to circulate through your body tissue and this tends to help your body heal up much faster than it would otherwise.

Consider the fact that a good massage chair can give you a wider range of motion across the board. You will find that it can help you stretch and bend; the increase in your flexibility might astonish you. The release of endorphins act as a natural pain reliever, leaving you feeling wonderfully relaxed ant at ease.

Don't be concerned if you hear or feel a soft pop when you are in massage chair. This may simply be the muscle around your ribs relaxing. If they are too tight, they can actually restrict your breathing! After you have spent some quality time in the chair, why not try taking a deep breath? It is going to be much easier than it was before you sat down.

Do you have poor posture? You'll find that people who deal with chronic aches and pains tend to. Hunching over and slouching your shoulders can make problems with your bones, ligaments and muscles much worse, but spending time in a massage chair can be extremely helpful; you'll be able to stand up much straighter afterwards.

Remember that poor posture can contribute to conditions like degenerative arthritis. You'll find that regular use of a massage chair can actually help you prevent this. Make sure that you think forward in this respect; you never know what might be right around the corner. Make sure that you are taking good care of your bones and your muscle tissue and remember that spending time in a massage chair is very good maintenance.

When you are in a massage chair, free from pain, relaxing and full of healthy endorphins, you are going to be feeling great. This can help lift your mood and improve your health, and you may even find that you are not going to be as tense with your family and friends. It's much cheaper than a full time massage therapist, and it is practically as good!
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

Greetings:

Very good idea.
Quote below. In my opinion you can well benefit from anything that will facilitate the following:

"You'll also find that your massage chair can be extremely healthy for you. It improves the flow of blood and lymph and at the end of the day, you will find that this contributes to making sure that the harmful toxins are more easily removed from your body. More oxygen will also be able to circulate through your body tissue and this tends to help your body heal up much faster than it would otherwise."

Best regards, Vesta
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

I will be getting a massage chair. This will happen within about a month from now.

Recently I've been very focused on massage chairs. I've been reading, reading, reading. Well actually, mainly listening, because I've been using a program called TTS Reader https://ttsreader.com/ I use this program because my eye muscles are tight almost all the time, making reading difficult.

I've also been watching a lot of videos on massage chairs.
Dr. Alan Weidner and Michael Nguyen from https://www.massage-chair-relief.com/ have been very helpful.

I'm going to get the Infinity IT-8500 X3 https://www.massage-chair-relief.com/ma ... age-chair/ . The Infinity IT-8500 X3 is the same chair as the Infinity IT-8500, but with some additional features. The most significant additional feature is the 3-D roller technology. This means you can adjust how far the rollers go out, and thus, how strong the massage is. The Infinity IT-8500 (and IT-8500 X3) are known to give excellent neck massages, also.
I'll be paying roughly $100 a month for 4 years. No small amount of money, but the chair will be making me feel really good and also making me healthier. So, roughly $100 a month is well worth it. I wish I had known about massage chairs years ago (I used to think that massage chairs were just, more or less, regular chairs that vibrated.). How wrong I was :!:

:-D :-D I will be getting a good massage at least once a day in my own home. This is almost too good to be true. :-D :-D
Last edited by THX1138 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Congratulations! That is some chair!!!! Please let us know how it works for you.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

ElliotB wrote:Congratulations! That is some chair!!!! Please let us know how it works for you.
Will do. :-D
THX1138
Family Elder

Re: Massage Chairs - MUCH more than a vibrating chair

Post by THX1138 »

http://www.mscureenigmas.net/ms-blog/my ... nt-program
I have used energy therapies which enhance blood circulation - Acupuncture, Self-Acupressure, Kinesiology, Osteopathy (France) Chiropractic (USA), Physical Therapy, Massage, Swimming. I now treat myself daily with Self Acupressure and swim if possible - the BEST way to get the blood flowing. I try to get a neck/back adjustment at least once a month. If I can swim I don't need an Acupuncture treatment, otherwise I try to get one treatment a month. If stressed I ask for a brief neck and upper back massage to push the blood down towards the heart. A full body massage will enhance blood circulation, but usually the following day EVERBODY feels tired because the massage releases toxins from the muscles (that isn't particular to MS.)
If stressed I ask for a brief neck and upper back massage to push the blood down towards the heart.
Vesta, When you say a brief neck and upper back massage to push the blood towards the heart, does this involve massage movements that move away from the head toward the heart, or just a regular neck and upper back massage that allows blood to better flow toward the heart :?:
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

THX1138 wrote:http://www.mscureenigmas.net/ms-blog/my ... nt-program
I have used energy therapies which enhance blood circulation - Acupuncture, Self-Acupressure, Kinesiology, Osteopathy (France) Chiropractic (USA), Physical Therapy, Massage, Swimming. I now treat myself daily with Self Acupressure and swim if possible - the BEST way to get the blood flowing. I try to get a neck/back adjustment at least once a month. If I can swim I don't need an Acupuncture treatment, otherwise I try to get one treatment a month. If stressed I ask for a brief neck and upper back massage to push the blood down towards the heart. A full body massage will enhance blood circulation, but usually the following day EVERBODY feels tired because the massage releases toxins from the muscles (that isn't particular to MS.)
If stressed I ask for a brief neck and upper back massage to push the blood down towards the heart.
Vesta, When you say a brief neck and upper back massage to push the blood towards the heart, does this involve massage movements that move away from the head toward the heart, or just a regular neck and upper back massage that allows blood to better flow toward the heart :?:
Hello: Sorry for the delay, it's Holiday time.

When I first read about CCSVI summer 2010, I did ask for a massage running down the neck and continuing down the back to the waist to get the fluids moving out of the head. (We are both standing and it takes less than a minute) I also found that a TENS stimulation on the upper back helps release the tension that keeps fluid backed up in the head. Dr. Owiesy's idea about spasms in the smooth muscle layer of the brains' draining veins' which block off blood flow corresponds to my experience. Therefore, ANY massage which releases the spasm should help. I'm SO delighted that you are following this path. I have to be ever vigilant to overcome body tension but since I began to act on the CCSVI issue (without angioplasty), my health is so much improved. So go for it. I might consider a massage chair myself.

Thanks for asking.

Best regards, Vesta
vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta »

vesta wrote:
THX1138 wrote:http://www.mscureenigmas.net/ms-blog/my ... nt-program
Hello: Sorry for the delay, it's Holiday time.

When I first read about CCSVI summer 2010, I did ask for a massage running down the neck and continuing down the back to the waist to get the fluids moving out of the head. (We are both standing and it takes less than a minute) I also found that a TENS stimulation on the upper back helps release the tension that keeps fluid backed up in the head. Dr. Owiesy's idea about spasms in the smooth muscle layer of the brains' draining veins' which block off blood flow corresponds to my experience. Therefore, ANY massage which releases the spasm should help. I'm SO delighted that you are following this path. I have to be ever vigilant to overcome body tension but since I began to act on the CCSVI issue (without angioplasty), my health is so much improved. So go for it. I might consider a massage chair myself.

Thanks for asking.

Best regards, Vesta
Just an update on the above. I realized after reading about CCSVI in 2010 that I stopped my first big attack (Spring 1980) with a Shiatsu massage at Kabuki Hot Springs. It was the spine under "attack". (See May 5, 2013 Blog post titled Dr Christopher Pallis and Shiatsu Massage) I mention this because you might be concerned that if you don't target bringing blood out of the head that the massage chair will be less effective, but my own experience targets the entire neck/back. It is appalling to realize that MSers are treated with intravenous steroids to minimize an "attack" when the best thing they could do is get a good back massage. Maybe hospitals should equip themselves with high tech massage chairs as first line treatment. It took awhile for me to recover in 1980, but the massage stopped the attack which meant I could still walk (it was the arm which curled up useless, the leg should have as well.)

I hope you keep a journal and let us know your experience. I think you offered yourself a very fine Christmas Gift.

Happy New Year 2018.

Vesta

Return to “General Discussion”