Diet quality is associated with disability in MS...

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MSUK
Family Elder

Diet quality is associated with disability in MS...

Post by MSUK »

Diet quality is associated with disability and symptom severity in MS

A study of around 7,000 people with MS in North America has assessed how diet quality is associated with disability...Read more - http://www.ms-uk.org/diet-quality-assoc ... everity-ms

MS-UK - http://www.ms-uk.org/
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Diet quality is associated with disability in MS...

Post by jimmylegs »

active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
eventhis
Getting to Know You...

Post by eventhis »

I read this a few days ago and thought it was interesting that those in the highest quintile of diet were still only consuming 3.3 servings of fruits, vegetables, and/or legumes per day. So I (and many others with MS who consume at least 9 cups per day) are going to be off the charts!. I'm still hoping for a day when a good robust study shows an impact of diet on relapse rates and radiographic changes. Other than Swank.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

And what scientific study is there on the Swank Diet? I don't recall seeing one...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i guess it helps if you bother looking http://bfy.tw/Fg6i
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Those are not controlled, scientific clinical trials. I have looked many times and never found one...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

not what you asked for. as for the known limitations, pitter patter!
TraciT

Post by TraciT »

ElliotB wrote:Those are not controlled, scientific clinical trials. I have looked many times and never found one...
There is a study going on right now at the University of Iowa putting the Wahls Protocol against Swank. Results aren't expected until 2020.
TraciT

Post by TraciT »

ElliotB wrote:And what scientific study is there on the Swank Diet? I don't recall seeing one...
Swank published his study in 1990 in the medical periodical, The Lancet
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Swank published his study in 1990"

Please post a link...

AFAIK, the claims made for the diet are unsubstantiated and there has never been a true scientific study done.
Last edited by ElliotB on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
koneall
Family Elder

Post by koneall »

I googled Swank 1990 diet and copied this:

"Our findings indicate that a diet of 20 g saturated fat daily was best able to keep patients with MS ambulant and working when it was started before the patients’ normal abilities and activities were restricted7-under these circumstances about 95% of MS patients remained only mildly disabled for approximately 30 years. Adherence to the diet is important. Defaulting from the diet even after 5 to 10 years was, in almost all cases, followed by reactivation of the disease. Only 7% of the patients who consumed more than 20 g of fat daily did not show a high sensitivity to fat.7 This small group may have consisted of benign cases "1-12 who have been estimated12 to make up about 4% of MS patients. In recent years we have observed that patients consuming 10-15 g/day or less had even better improvement in energy and fatigue levels. Removing red meat from the diet and reducing intake of the dark meat of poultry helped to attain these very low fat intakes."

It even mentions that small group of benign cases which eventually become the CIS group. I've noticed some interest in high-fat diets as a remedy and assume some bodies might work better on fat but playing the odds it seems that I'll do better by staying on the McDougall-type vegetarian diet.

kaypeeoh
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

The claims made for the diet have NEVER been substantiated scientifically . The documented numbers speak for themselves. Those who take the time to do the research know exactly why... Believe what you want. FAKE news!

The bottom line is that there is no 'real' evidence that ANY of the numerous MS diets or protocols really work.
Last edited by ElliotB on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

swank link already provided above, folks ^^^^^^^^ review bit.ly (wait for it)
jerrygallow
Family Elder

Post by jerrygallow »

I haven’t been here in a while, but last I knew Elliott was in to a diet of red meat. Are you now against diet with MS? So I take it the red meat diet did not work out so well? I am a firm believer in swank But I do not limit oil’s, nuts seeds avocados or fish
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Are you now against diet with MS?"

No, I am against unsubstantianted claims about ANY diet. My general view about about diet is that at this point, diet IS the ONLY medicine for those of us with MS. But the diet has to make sense, not just look good on paper.

"So I take it the red meat diet did not work out so well?"

Not sure where that idea came from. Actually, nothing could be further from the truth! In fact, I believe I have accidentally discovered that I may be lectin intolerant and have at least temporarily given up the consumption all vegetables (I only at them in limited amounts and very limited varieties anyway and of course only home grown, pesticide free vegetables). I hardly consume any fruits and when I do, it is berries only which are thought to help reduce inflammation (in general, I use them almost exclusively for making a fermented beverage called Kefir).