Lipoic acid

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
frodo
Family Elder

Lipoic acid

Post by frodo »

Effects of lipoic acid on migration of human B cells and monocyte-enriched peripheral blood mononuclear cells in relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis

http://www.jni-journal.com/article/S0165-5728(17%2930310-7/fulltext?cc=y=

Highlights

•Monocytes are more migratory in RRMS populations compared to those in HC.
•Lipoic acid reduces monocyte and B cell migration in healthy control and RRMS samples.
•Lipoic acid may be able to reduce monocyte and B cell related disease progression in RRMS.

Abstract

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a disease of the central nervous system characterized by inflammation and demyelination resulting in clinical disability. The rodent MS model suggests that infiltration of monocytes and B cells contributes to disease pathogenesis. Here, we compared the migratory capacity of human monocytes and B cells from healthy control (HC) and relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS) subjects, with or without lipoic acid (LA) treatment. Basal migration of monocyte-enriched PBMCs from RRMS subjects is significantly higher than HC PBMCs. LA treatment significantly inhibits monocyte and B cell migration in both cohorts, and may thus be therapeutically effective for treatment of MS.
zen2010
Family Elder

Re: Lipoic acid

Post by zen2010 »

Hi,

"Small study shows that treatment with an anti-oxidant (lipoic acid) slows brain tissue loss in individuals with secondary progressive MS"
https://mssociety.ca/research-news/arti ... ressive-ms

Bigger trial is on the way:
https://mssociety.ca/research-news/arti ... ent-of-pms

Have anyone tried lipoic acid for a long time?
Can you pls provide feedbacks?
Thks
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I have been taking it for a couple of years, although after reading the latest about it, I increased my intake a bit a few months ago.

Frankly, I don't noticed anything good or bad as far as changes since I started taking it. BUT I have found this to be the case for every supplement I take, including high dose Biotin. But I continue taking all of them with the hope that they are doing something.

This information is very important regarding the formulation of Lipioc Acid:
There are typically two common forms of of Lipioc Acid, R-Alpha and Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA). The "R" form is likely the better of the two, but is not as common as the A form and is also a bit more expensive - but IMHO it is worth the slight additional cost for the R form. There is lots of info on the differences between the two on the web.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:17 am This information is very important regarding the formulation of Lipioc Acid:
There are typically two common forms of of Lipioc Acid, R-Alpha and Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA). The "R" form is likely the better of the two, but is not as common as the A form and is also a bit more expensive - but IMHO it is worth the slight additional cost for the R form. There is lots of info on the differences between the two on the web.
It's even closer than you think.

Lipoic Acid: R vs. S viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4347