Vitamin B6 and B12 Supplements Appear to Cause Cancer in Men

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
zen2010
Family Elder

Vitamin B6 and B12 Supplements Appear to Cause Cancer in Men

Post by zen2010 »

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... gy/537654/

I guess the solution is to keep monitoring B6 and B12 levels...
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Vitamin B6 and B12 Supplements Appear to Cause Cancer in

Post by NHE »

The problem may also be related to the fact that the participants in the study were taking folic acid and not methylfolate. Folic acid is an inexpensive synthetic substitute for methylfolate and the two are processed differently in the body.
In 2009, the researchers reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association that taking high doses of vitamin B12 along with folic acid (technically vitamin B9) was associated with greater risk of cancer and all-cause mortality.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Lung-cancer risk among men who took 20 milligrams of B6 daily for years was twice that of men who didn’t. Among people who smoke, the effect appeared to be synergistic, with B6 usage increasing risk threefold. The risk was even worse among smokers taking B12. Using more than 55 micrograms daily appeared to almost quadruple lung-cancer risk.
Regarding folic acid, see...

Folate Metabolism and MTHFR: An Introduction
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

Vitamin B6 and B12 Supplements Appear to Cause Cancer in Men (2017)
http://ascopubs.org/doi/abs/10.1200/JCO.2017.72.7735
"...use of vitamin B6 and B12 from individual supplement sources, but not from multivitamins, was associated with a 30% to 40% increase in lung cancer risk among men."

looks like shorter term therapeutic regimens are fine to address known deficiencies/insufficiencies. but long term, best to optimize healthy whole food b vit sources and top up with multi (i mentally include b complex) if and as needed. i definitely used to be b12 deficient, definitely took 1000 mcg sublinguals for a while, topped up levels. switched diet, and there have been no single b supplements taken on any given day since. b complex, yes but not daily. my general multi is 3 pills per day. i'm not at all diligent about actually taking sll three. eg i drop down to one or two if also taking b complex or ACES+Zn.

i still take certain things solo. eg in my case i recently caught cold and you can bet some ACESZ plus extra individual virus-fighting nutrient supplements were going in at high levels for the couple of days it took to fight it off (worst of it symptomatically being the half day of face ache thanks to sinuses)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

i still take certain things solo. eg in my case i recently caught cold and you can bet some ACESZ plus extra individual virus-fighting nutrient supplements were going in at high levels for the couple of days it took to fight it off (worst of it symptomatically being the half day of face ache thanks to sinuses)
I take it that means vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, Selenium, and Zinc :?: