Magnesium Oil is a Muscle’s Best Friend

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Magnesium oil usually gives me impressive muscle relaxation and a serious boost in energy. I find it to be much more effective than oral magnesium.

Apr 13, 2017 | Remedies
Magnesium oil is a super-saturated solution of magnesium chloride in distilled water. Applied topically, when it dries it can feel chalky on the skin as some minerals precipitate out of solution while being absorbed into the body. It is an inexpensive remedy with a long shelf-life and can effectively treat several health problems associated with magnesium deficiency.
As a topical treatment, transdermal magnesium therapy has a key advantage over oral supplements as magnesium is absorbed and utilized in the area of application. Both leg cramps and restless legs are strongly associated with magnesium deficiency and respond favorable and quickly to daily use of magnesium oil.

Muscle and nerve pain also respond well to topical magnesium. Many patients assume they need more calcium to treat muscles problems. Calcium is responsible for muscular contraction while magnesium aids muscle relaxation. Spasms, cramps, pain, and restlessness are more often symptomatic of an inability for the affected muscle to relax, indicating a localized (and potentially systemic) magnesium deficiency.
Transdermal magnesium therapy has another advantage over high-dose oral magnesium in that it does not cause loose stools. As a side-effect from oral magnesium therapy, those suffering from constipation may take a sufficient dose of magnesium citrate or lactate to good effect. However, for a patient with a sensitive gut, this is an unwelcome reaction.
The stool softening effect of magnesium is not inherently harmful and only a side-effect of taking too much, causing the body to flush the excess. It is actually a great way to find an ideal dosage of oral magnesium, as anything less than the amount that would cause loose stools is being fully utilized by the body. A topical application of magnesium oil circumvents this issue. In bypassing the digestive tract through application over muscles, even the most sensitive gut can supplement with magnesium long-term.
Although the majority of magnesium will be absorbed and utilized in the area of application, a portion will make it into the bloodstream and circulate widely. Over time, you can correct a systemic magnesium deficiency with transdermal therapy magnesium, however, some problems are better treated with an oral form. Constipation is one aforementioned example as well as vascular system problems such as hypertension.
It is worth commenting on some of the causes of magnesium deficiency, as it is essential to correct the underlying imbalance. A diet high in processed foods will gradually result in magnesium deficiency as the mineral is lost during the refinement process. This is especially true in the context of a diet low in leafy green vegetables, which are our best dietary source of magnesium. However, this is contingent upon adequate soil content of magnesium, which itself can become deficient through over-farming and erosion.
Chronic stress, caffeine, alcohol and sugar all can potentially deplete magnesium. Carbonated soft drinks are the worst offenders in this regard.
Many classes of drugs, both over-the-counter and prescription, deplete magnesium reserves. These include antibiotics, anti-depressants, anti-inflammatories, diuretics, and antacids. Through an antagonist action, excess calcium can create an imbalance between the two minerals leading to a relative deficiency of magnesium.

https://www.easttroyacupuncture.com/magnesium-oil/
Last edited by THX1138 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THX1138
Family Elder

Re: Magnesium Oil is a Muscle’s Best Friend

Post by THX1138 »

I am amazed that, it appears, I am the only one who has used Mg oil.

Anyone use it ????
PJM26
Getting to Know You...

Post by PJM26 »

THX1138 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:06 pm I am amazed that, it appears, I am the only one who has used Mg oil.

Anyone use it ????
Does it help with spasticity? My old man has been having terrible spasticity at night lately (legs bending up seemingly from the hips so that the knees move toward the torso) and I am wondering if this might help....
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi p, a few questions (pls forgive if we have been over these in the past):

1. what's his status quo magnesium intake from a) food, b) water (city tap? well? bottle?) and c) supplements?
2. if supplements are already in the mix, what is the a) number of pills needed per the fine print, to achieve the label dose and b) chemical makeup per pill?
3. any regular meds in the mix that are known to deplete mag? eg PPIs? vitamin D?
all of these details matter.

4. another q, any older or recent serum magnesium levels in the medical file?
it's useful to know how far off one might be from a target optimal range (which sits at the top end of the existing normal range, and normal includes a broad spectrum including sick ppl)

i personally made up a couple ounces of magnesium solution aka 'oil' years ago and can't be bothered to use it a second time, let alone finish the tiny batch i made. i just eat my mag-rich foods and take my mag (glycinate) powder capsules (ESPECIALLY whenever taking vitamin d3, after that insane experience). oh and my water filter remineralizes but that's a scam considering the relative cost of water via that route vs cost of plain filtered tap plus a mag capsule. my 2 c!
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

I use magnesium chloride gel on my feet before I go to bed at night to help with burning heels and so my feet stay relaxed all night...with a rolled hand towel between my feet. I also take 400mg of magnesium bis-glycinate a day.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi music re the burning, do you do anything with thiamine? mag helps the body use it, but if there's not enough to use anyway...

this is a really out of context study but it puts the pieces together pretty well

https://experts.illinois.edu/en/publica ... sium-on-th

An interaction of two essential nutrients, thiamine and magnesium (Mg) has been documented in in vitro and in vivo studies in mammalian metabolism. ... These data suggest that Mg enhanced utilization of the thiamine remaining in the fish body and its interdependence was consistent with observations in mammals.

fwiw the klenner protocol for ms hits thiamine hardest of all the b vitamins. 3 times as much as any other ie if memory serves, 300mg taken morning, noon, evening and before bed for a total of 1200mg thiamine per day. klenner protocol was the most effective thing i'd ever done for clearing up my symptoms (mind you that was back in the early days of renourishing after over a decade of basically starving myself like an idiot).

more less than ideal research links

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... .tb08836.x
interesting contribution brought to you by med hypotheses https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 7714004393
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

PJM26,

Yes, it does help with spasticity. Just minutes after doing a short treatment, I notice that my muscles are less tight. In the past, I used to do treatments that lasted several minutes. These days, I only do very short treatments and I drink a lot of water along with the treatment otherwise I get feeling dehydrated.

Here's what I do: I go over to the kitchen sink with my chair and wash my right forearm off by running warm water on it and rubbing it with my left hand. Then I wipe off with a towel. I do this so my forearm is good and clean and moist but not wet. Then I put 4 squirts of magnesium oil onto my cupped left hand. I rub this slowly into my right forearm. After only about 10 or so seconds it seems that much of the oil has absorbed. I stop the treatment and wash off with the warm running water and dry off with the towel. It is important for me to drink a lot of water right around the time of the treatment. Ideally, I drink a quart of water. If I don't drink water the treatment can dehydrate me and not be effective.

If I do the treatment as described above, my head will have cleared significantly and feel much cooler after about 10 minutes has passed. I also notice that much of my body can move better. I often also get a sense of lively energy. When I was in the nursing home, I was sitting in the bed, inclined, and I couldn't even sit up fully without pulling with my arms. But after doing one of these brief treatments I was able to sit up fully, and repeatedly, using only my abdominal muscles. This happened more than once after a treatment.

Oral magnesium, even though I've tried many high quality types and sometimes in high doses, has never been as effective as the magnesium oil.

PJM26 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:53 pm
THX1138 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:06 pm I am amazed that, it appears, I am the only one who has used Mg oil.

Anyone use it ????
Does it help with spasticity? My old man has been having terrible spasticity at night lately (legs bending up seemingly from the hips so that the knees move toward the torso) and I am wondering if this might help....
Last edited by THX1138 on Fri May 22, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PJM26
Getting to Know You...

Post by PJM26 »

THX1138 - Thanks for the info re: Mg oil. Can you recommend a product available online?

Jimmylegs - I don't know what his Mg serum status is. I was thinking of ordering an online micronutrient test ( https://www.spectracell.com/patients/pa ... t-testing/) so as to determine if there are any deficiencies. I decided to look into the micronutrient test when I read about SSRIs depleting certain nutrients (he takes an SSRI now and did so on and off prior to MS diagnosis 15 years ago).

Thank you both for your responses.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi again, i know i've read some spectracell content with interest but i don't know what to think of their wbc assays and whether or not it would be easy to interpret their results.
related - see study limitations in https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3366011/

also related, scholar searches
"wbc zinc" healthy controls - 17 results. this year 0
"rbc zinc" healthy controls - 240 results. this year 5
"plasma zinc" healthy controls - 14,300 results. this year 353
"serum zinc" healthy controls - 19,100 results. this year 866

that's just one semi random example. what nutrients have been flagged to your attention wrt SSRIs?

i like plain old blood tests with results readily compared to lots of standard research. continuing with the one example
https://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins- ... Blood-Test
you have to be careful with this one. if they run plasma the reference range is lower. for example in this study plasma zinc in patients and controls came back between 10 and 11 umol/l. it's still on the low side but if that had been a serum test (depending on the lab of course) results between 10 and 11 would be considered deficient

an old roomie of mine has a bipolar dx with overprescription of SSRIs flagged as a possible cause of the diagnostic manic episode. this individual's anticipated and previously routine biennial trip to the psych ward did not occur while we were sharing living space and i do think it could have had something to do with the nutrition gong i'm forever banging!

i will look forward to hearing more about the specific nutrients of interest in your case :)
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

"THX1138 - Thanks for the info re: Mg oil. Can you recommend a product available online?"

This is the one that I've used for the past decade:
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson ... les-liquid
It comes from the ancient Zechstein seabed, as does the much more expensive Ancient Minerals brand.
These are also available in just one 8 oz or half gallon bottle and at Amazon.