blood test results

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: blood test results

Post by jimmylegs »

hi :)

ok first, re dietary magnesium:

please consider investing some energy in maximizing magnesium from healthy food sources, and designing your days to be consistent with the intent of the harvard healthy eating plate (most concepts can be wilfully misinterpreted, unfortunately)

sample healthy food sources:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... #foodchart

when you see the top list items, it will make sense why 1.5 c servings of cooked dark leafy greens are recommended 3 times per week.

other easy steps to dietary mag density:

on weekdays i sprinkle flax seeds (25 mg mag) on my morning steel cut oats (70 mg mag) and mixed berries (maybe another 20 mg mag)

i also make a nutrient dense nut and seed trail mix and use 1/4c of that as a daily mid morning snack (est 100 mg mag)

when i use rice, it's brown rice (80 mg per cup)

etc etc etc you get the idea :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

zen2010 wrote:Regarding the supplementation, I use Magnesium Bisglycinate from Solgar . I plan to go to 6 * 100 mg tablets per day (2tabs/8am +2/12am + 2/8pm)
I once experimented with taking 800 mg Mg/day for a week in an attempt to achieve Mg's reported vasodilatory effect. That was not successful. Moreover, it made my legs very weak so I had to stop. It seems that high dose Mg can interfere with Ca and thus impair muscle function.
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Thks NHE, I'll be carefull about this.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

same, when i have plenty of mag in diet i've found even going to 400mg from supplemental mag glycinate in one day has led to some weakness. not quite as easy to climb stairs, specifically. related past posts: https://bit.ly/2nC6kA6

plenty in diet means huge emphasis on dark leafy greens at the time. i've more recently taken loads of mag glycinate during a less greens heavy spell and did not experience the same muscle weakness. i was trying to kill a headache but it wasn't the right kind of pain to respond. i still had a headache and beyond that it was the first time in my life i managed to take enough mag glycinate to incur a laxative effect. not as bad as mag oxide, but there. related topic and posts under daily life.'

it's a much better idea to invest in dense food sources and minimize spending on isolated supplements. magnesium dense foods are dense in many other important beneficial essentials as well, with less risk of imbalance. it's not impossible to overdo one kind of food of course, even nominally healthy whole foods. the side effects i had from the high greens era came when i added rhubarb to the mix. my feet were not impressed. a free and easy fix, at least! related posts https://bit.ly/2MQZKkl
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

roger that!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

have had much the same stuff so far today, with a couple of exceptions eg extra flax

so, from a 240mg morning breakfast and snack base, so far today i've added some brown rice with lunch (est +20mg worth in a bowl of soup)

later today, i anticipate servings of:
quinoa tabbouleh (est +20mg from the quinoa, +15mg from the parsley)
beets (+40 mgs worth)
beet greens (probably +50mg)
broccoli (est +15mg)
green beans (est +10mg)

that gets me to a 410mg base from food sources, and i'll still take an extra 200mg of mag glycinate before the day is done :)

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... #foodchart
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

jimmylegs wrote:
my local hospital's range for serum zinc is 11.5-18.5 umol/L.
so it flags deficiency at anything below 11.5 umol/L.

optimal serum zinc in healthies is in the 18.0-18.5 umol/L neighbourhood. ie high normal.
that means your approx target to match healthy status would be ~1200 ug/L
Hi
I just received my Zinc level:
1100µg/L (16.8µmol/L) Last January, level was 829µg/L

So, according to your former post, Zinc level is better.

BR
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

much better re zinc status; well done.

ok so levels wise, you have some work to do on both d3 and magnesium. however, you're still feeling sub par so instead of just working on those, please detail your typical daily regimen, including timing.

1. what are the details for any supplement(s) before breakfast? (for any supplement info please provide link to ingredients label)

2. what did you have for breakfast
today?
yesterday?
day before yesterday?

re food info, pls be specific and detailed as possible (estimate quantities if you need to) eg
  • 1/2 c steel cut oats
    1/2 c mixed berries
    2 oz 2% milk
    2 tbsp flax seed
    1/2 tbsp maple syrup
3. what are the details for any supplement(s) with breakfast?

4. what are the details for any supplement(s) after breakfast?

5. what is your typical morning snack?

6. what are the details for any supplement(s) taken mid morning?

7. what are the details for any supplement(s) taken before eating lunch?

8. what did you/will you have for lunch
today?
yesterday?
the day before?

9. what are the details for any supplement(s) taken with lunch?

10. what are the details for any supplement(s) taken after eating lunch?

11. what is your typical afternoon snack?

12. what are the details for any supplement(s) taken mid afternoon?

13. what are the details for any supplement(s) taken before eating dinner/supper?

14. what did you/will you have for dinner/supper
today?
yesterday?
the day before?

15. what are the details for any supplement(s) taken after dinner?

16. what are the details for any supplement(s) taken in the evening? at bedtime?

with this info we should be able to spot some potential beneficial action items :)
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Hi JL,
Thks very much for trying to improve things for me.

Unfortunately, I don't monitor the food I eat.

For exemple: I try to perform some exercises (fitness) every day. If one day, I feel really good, I will go for high intensity fitness, so I will have more food after, and I will also take some protein powder right after exercising.

I do have a fixed-schedule for meds, vits and complementary nutrients:
-7:00AM: 10mg Fampyra (Ampyra in US I think)
-8:00AM : Tavegil 4*1.34mg (clemastine of Fumarate) + 200mg Mag + 1 cap of multi vit + 500mg Omega3
-11:50AM: 20mg CBD oil
-12:00 :200mg Mag + 500mg Taurine + UI3000 VitD
-4:50PM :40mg CBD oil
-9:00PM :Tavegil 4*1.34mg (clemastine of Fumarate) + 200mg Mag
-10:30PM : 40mg CBD oil

Regarding food, I just try to vary what I eat. Also I avoid too much salt & sugar.

Cheers
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok i guess we can assume there's an obvious problem with your food/fluid habits if you're not comfortable sharing what you consumed today, yesterday, and the day before. that's not monitoring, that's remembering :)
good luck, hope you feel better somehow!
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

lol
I am very comfortable with what I am eating.

My point is: if I tell you I had white rice yesterday for lunch, you will ask "how much?"
Then I will answer you "I have no idea as I don't monitor the quantity of food I eat"

My understanding is that you need precise data...

I can tell you, roughly, what I ate the day before yesterday, yesterday,and today:

The day before yesterday:
Breakfast: coffe and some cereals (muesli) with soja milk
No food until lunch.
Lunch: White rice and poultry
Some chocolate cookies between Lunch and dinner
Dinner: Mexican pancakes with poultry

Yesterday:
Coffe + chocolate cookies
No food until lunch.
Lunch: beef steak + regular pasta
Protein powder (300ml) in the afternoon and mixed graines(brazilian nuts, grappes and other nuts) + goat cheese before lunch
Dinner: regular Pasta and poultry + butter cookies

Today:
Coffe + cereals with soja milk
No food until lunch.
Lunch: poultry + regular pasta
nothing before lunch
Dinner: I will have eggs with tomatos + mexicans pancakes
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

aha this is already MUCH better info and you are right, i do want to know how much.
here is your handy dandy (at first that was no pun intended lol) visual quantity estimation guide:
to start, we can assess what you've provided based on standard serving sizes.
that info can be adjusted after you've work out what your typical serving sizes must actually be :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i'm just noticing the math issues with that guide, ie 1/2 c + 1/2 c = 2 c but, you get the general idea :)
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok let's start with review for harvard's healthy eating plate
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritions ... ing-plate/
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritions ... s/spanish/
  • The day before yesterday:
    Breakfast: coffe and some cereals (muesli) with soja milk
    No food until lunch.
    Lunch: White rice and poultry
    Some chocolate cookies between Lunch and dinner
    Dinner: Mexican pancakes with poultry
none of the meals described for day 1 are complete per harvard's evidence-based guideline.
even using the entire day to approximate one figurative plate, this list is not making the grade.

poultry is nominally a good choice for mealtime protein, but to be sure we need more info re preparation method. lack of variety is another aspect to consider where protein is concerned.
1 of 3 grain servings appear to possibly contain whole grain. definitely room for improvement.
there's a clear gap for vegetables and fruit.
treats: chocolate cookies are okay on occasion, but aren't a great choice for a daily 'go-to' between-meal snack.
  • Yesterday:
    Coffe + chocolate cookies
    No food until lunch.
    Lunch: beef steak + regular pasta
    Protein powder (300ml) in the afternoon and mixed graines(brazilian nuts, grappes and other nuts) + goat cheese before lunch
    Dinner: regular Pasta and poultry + butter cookies
life is busy, but do try to kickstart your day with a healthy breakfast.
re beef (especially grass fed beef) up to a 3oz serving is a decent mealtime protein choice.
i'm not seeing any whole grains in the list for day 2.
still no veg, but nice to see some grapes making an appearance.
oh, you and your cookies ;) definitely worth enjoying occasionally, but try keeping baked goods out of the daily food environment.

re snacks. i don't know if the idea appeals to you, but lately i have been enjoying 1/4 c homemade trail mix (yes i do measure it out lol) as a daily morning snack.
it is nutrient-dense, some of the ingredients are a nod to the sweet tooth, and it helps keep my metabolism moving.
  • Today:
    Coffe + cereals with soja milk
    No food until lunch.
    Lunch: poultry + regular pasta
    nothing before lunch
    Dinner: I will have eggs with tomatos + mexicans pancakes
day 3 still on the weak side. protein is decent but there is still a decided lack of veg, fruit and whole unprocessed grain
glad to see tomatoes entered the picture however :)

your mission, should you choose to accept:

1. review this list http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php and select
a rotation or mix of veg options to add to lunches, dinners and afternoon snacks

2. increase whole grains. consider trying steel cut oats as part of the breakfast rotation, transitioning over to brown rice, and choosing whole grain versions of pasta. if you are reluctant to do so because you're used to processed versions of rice and pastas, maybe try going 50/50 for a while. at least it's a step in the right direction :)

3. review this list again http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php and select
a rotation or mix of fruit options to add either to breakfast or as a morning snack

that's that for now - we can revisit later with an eye to scoring food choices based on nutritional contributions, and also their pro vs anti inflammatory contributions to your daily routine :)
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

jimmylegs wrote:i'm just noticing the math issues with that guide, ie 1/2 c + 1/2 c = 2 c but, you get the general idea :)
I think the reason may be that the hands are different :-|

... or that the total capacity of 2 hands together may equal 2 cups, whereas 2 hands separate from each other may equal 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup. Or the mistake may come down to the fact that 2 circles/ovals were drawn instead of a larger oval in the 2 cup diagram.

This may be a helpful tool for such measurements: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-kitchen-scale/

The Tare function is nice for weighing the food only, not the plate or bowl along with the food. Or some simple subtraction will do that too.

THX1138