Is saturated fat bad for people diagnosed with PPMS ??

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
eventhis
Getting to Know You...

Re: Is saturated fat bad for people diagnosed with PPMS ??

Post by eventhis »

ElliotB wrote:"Wahls is pro-saturated fat"

Where have you read/seen this?
Wahls protocol (2014) pg 203-206. Wahls lives off of little but coconut oil, milk and cream which are 84% saturated fat. But she emphasizes the importance of consuming medium chain triglycerides, which are less likely to be oxidized into pro-inflammatory molecules.
"...the fats found in fatty fish"

It is important to understand that farm raised fish have totally different fat content as compared to their wild counterparts and if consuming fish/seafood, you should not consume farm raised products (there are other good reasons not to consume farm raised fish/seafood as well). Also, grass fed meats have the exact same beneficial fats as wild fish.
eventhis
Getting to Know You...

Post by eventhis »

NHE wrote:
koneall wrote:McDougall et al say animal fats turn into autoantibodies that can cross the BBB and attack neural tissue.
No fatty acid molecule, which is a hydrocarbon with a carboxylic acid at one end, is going to transform into an antibody which is a large protein.
Bullseye. Rather than having anything to do with autoantibodies, avoiding animal fat is an attempt to reduce vascular inflammation. Ironically, Wahls’ ketogenic diet is attempting the same, through massive consumption of saturated fat (mainly coconut oil and grass-fed land animals.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"Wahls lives off of little but coconut oil, milk and cream which are 84% saturated fat"

This is simply not true, sorry.
eventhis
Getting to Know You...

Post by eventhis »

ElliotB wrote:"Wahls lives off of little but coconut oil, milk and cream which are 84% saturated fat"

Expert work spotting an obvious exaggeration. She eats A LOT of coconut fat. And by all accounts she’s done really well following her program.
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

That's kinda the direct opposite of my diet. I follow Dr McDougal's Theory. He says animal tissue can produce antibodies that can pass through the BBB and damage nerve tissues. His diet is 80% starch--potatoes, rice, etc and 20% veggies. Absolutely no meat, chicken, fish or dairy. I've been on it around 9 months.
McDougal did a study on the plant based diet for MS. The results were disappointing. There was little difference between the diet group and the control group. http://www.mcdougallmedia.net/images/em ... oster3.pdf

As far as I can tell the diet he tested was the Starch Solution which is a vegetarian diet. He did not test the Swank diet which allows low fat meat and supplements with cod liver oil.
Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard »

ElliotB wrote:"Wahls lives off of little but coconut oil, milk and cream which are 84% saturated fat"

Terry Wahls had several cycles of mitoxantrone - a chemo - prior to her recovery.
This depleted the EBV B cells and with that the oxidative stress came down.
What you eat then becomes of less importance.
koneall
Family Elder

Post by koneall »

I have McDougal's Starch Diet book in front of me. He recommends something like 80% starch--rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and 20% veggies. He says potatoes are a balanced protein source, not requiring any animal protein.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

perfect 12 med sz potatoes a day and youre all set
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.