my blog

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
1eye
Family Elder

my blog

Post by 1eye »

Hello, everybody :-)

I have not been on this forum for a long time. It is not because I prefer facebook. In fact I do not consider myself one of the faceliterati. I am functionally face-illiterate. I have always preferred this forum.

I just haven't got much faith anymore that I will find, here or anywhere, any MS magic bullets.

My MS is pretty much under control. My neurologist prescribed biotin, but I had already been on it for 2 years. It helps control my bowels, makes my hair and nails grow, my muscles seem to be able to get stronger, and in general I feel marginally better. I think I am one of those people who will die 'with' MS, rather than 'of' it.

I have been working very hard on a project. It is a blog, which contains a hundred or so letters which my Grandfather wrote, en route to Okinawa, and from Okinawa, during World War Two. He was in the Red Cross, and had left his wife and three children because he had messed up by having an affair with his secretary, and had to get out of town. But he wrote letters to his wife, about one every second day. Their marriage was preserved, resulting in, among other things, me. I only have the letters he wrote, as they were rediscovered in 2013 and not many of the letters to him exist, so it is a one-sided conversation. Nearly all of them are to my grandmother. He was 36, she a recent mother of three. They had a dog, who died. They bought a new house, and my Grandmother got a job. The effect of being in Okinawa, on him, was to make him grow up, and value very highly what he had back home.

He was in Okinawa from just after the American invasion in April 1945, to just after the war ended, in October 1945. There are letters starting when he left home, in October 1944, until his flight home from Okinawa.

The blog is at http://letters.sullivanweb.me.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: my blog

Post by ElliotB »

"I just haven't got much faith anymore that I will find, here or anywhere, any MS magic bullets"

You are correct, but reading between the lines/following the bread crumbs can lead to successes. Just look at your success with regard to Biotin - it only took your doctor 2 years to figure out you should be on it!

Interesting blog!
Billmeik
Family Elder

Post by Billmeik »

1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

ElliotB wrote:"I just haven't got much faith anymore that I will find, here or anywhere, any MS magic bullets"

You are correct, but reading between the lines/following the bread crumbs can lead to successes. Just look at your success with regard to Biotin - it only took your doctor 2 years to figure out you should be on it!

Interesting blog!
I am still on biotin daily, and it still works.

I kind of think after watching COSMOS season 1 episode 7, and finding out that cars run just fine on ethanol, and do not need any patented additives, and the the prevalence of ethyl lead in gas enriched undeserving companies for 60 years while poisoning the planet, that the increasing prevalence of MS is perhaps partly due to breathing ethyl lead. It was discontinued (banned) in the 1980s. As a result, I would expect a delayed reduction in the incidence of MS. The increased prevalence is partly due to an increase in accuracy of diagnosis, but the reflection of the ban on ethyl lead should be readily discernible. That would be a clearly significant step in identifying the cause of MS. Lead poisoning works by molecular mimicry.

I also blame tetraethyl lead for a lot of the excesses of World War Two.

see also http://sullivanweb.me/books/tetraethyllead.pdf
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

bump
Not a doctor.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Part of a foreword to a book I am writing:

Two products of 20th century technology which had a largely unacknowledged, but critical effect on the world, were the drug methamphetamine, and the anti-knock agent used in the manufacture of gasoline, ethyl lead. Both have been unacknowledged, because the truth about them is not commonly known. In both cases, some people have become exceedingly rich, selling the chemicals, in huge quantities. In both cases, the result was very harmful to people everywhere, as well as the purchasers.

Gasoline with ethyl lead proved to be extremely poisonous due to lead's molecular mimicry, causing at least mental disease, to people who breathed it. Its use in gasoline (which was competely unnecessary except for the profit of those who sold it as a patented additive) has now been stopped. It was a great unheralded experiment with human health, that failed. We should have known. Lead poisoning also led to the fall of the Roman Empire, and, closer to home here in Canada, to the loss of explorers who sought the fabled Northwest Passage.

I breathed it, as an automobile commuter, for many years. Then I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, a disease whose cause is unknown, but which may have had something to do with ethyl lead poisoning. That disease, also known as MS, has been on the rise for years. I believe if ethyl lead had anything to do with MS, we will eventually see a decrease in MS, due to the use of it being banned.

Methamphetamine is a harder nut to crack. It is addictive. During World War II, amphetamine and methamphetamine were used extensively by both the Allied and Axis forces for their stimulant and performance-enhancing effects.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_a ... phetamines)

I believe the addictive and psychoactive properties of the drug were responsible for many of the excesses, cruelties and moral outrages of World War Two.
In addition to ethyl lead and methamphetamine, another great experiment that affected human health, was excessive and ubiquitous use of DDT. I can not add anything to that discussion. See the book: Silent Spring by Rachel Carson. Suffice it to tell the reader, that the Ant Powder used, in the children's book my grandfather sent for my mother to illustrate, was likely DDT.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Spring

It is time humanity stopped allowing profit, with complete impunity, by chemical manufacture of drugs, "pesticides" and "additives", in gigantic quantities, chemicals which can cause grave harm when ingested, touched, or breathed. They have been responsible for untold human suffering.

We should stop people making profits, from making and deploying weapons in general, and nuclear so-called weapons in particular, before this Earth of yours is reduced to a burned-out cinder.
(https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Day_t ... 1951_film))

PS. Lots of things I've never heard of, but I never saw the term "molecular mimicry" in any other context but MS. Until now. :sad:
Not a doctor.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

"In the past fifty years, nuclear power, tobacco, chemical, asbestos, coal, pesticide and automobile interests have adopted strategies similar to the one developed by Kehoe. Clutching most of the technology and all of the research capital in their own hands, they’ll say “Prove us wrong, and we’ll change.” But confronted with damning evidence, they’ll repeatedly challenge the methodology of the studies or the bias of researchers. All of which takes time. When these defenses fail, the whole notion of extrapolating from test results on animals might be questioned. As Professor Herbert Needleman of the University of Pittsburgh has observed, because toxins are not tested on humans, this effectively means that no agent can ever be demonstrated as toxic to industry’s satisfaction. "

" Perhaps the only encouraging news in any discussion of leaded gasoline is how readily blood-lead levels fall when its use is trimmed or eliminated. The US phaseout of lead began in 1975 and was largely complete by 1986. Based on data collected in more than sixty US cities by the CDC, the Department of Health and Human Services reported that blood-lead levels in Americans aged 1-74 had declined 78 percent between 1978 and 1991.

For children aged 1-5, blood-lead levels decreased 76 percent, from 15.0 to 3.6 mcg/dl. The percent of children with blood-lead levels greater than or equal to 10 micrograms declined from 88 percent to 9 percent. The British Medical Journal reported three years ago that since Britain’s lead phaseout began, blood-lead levels there had fallen by two-thirds. In New York City, where the war against tetraethyl lead can be said to have first begun with its ban in 1925, Dr. Sergio Piomelli, a hematologist at Columbia University’s Children’s Hospital, has reported that before the US lead phaseout began, 30,000 out of 100,000 New York City children tested had elevated lead levels; after the phaseout was complete, 1,500 of 100,000 had similarly high levels. In 2000, he told The Nation, the affected population is even smaller. "

"A 1992 article in The New England Journal of Medicine revealed that pre-Columbian inhabitants of North America had average blood-lead levels 625 times lower than the current “safe” level of 10 mcg/dl."

"Dr. Clair Patterson, a California Institute of Technology geochemist. A onetime member of the Manhattan Project, Patterson is widely credited with giving us our most accurate estimate of the earth’s age–4.55 billion years. With the publication in 1965 of his seminal work, “Contaminated and Natural Lead Environments of Man,” in the Archives of Environmental Health, the scientific world had its hardest proof ever that high background lead levels in industrial lands were man-made and endemic. Noticing heavy planetary lead contamination in the process of establishing the age of the planet, Patterson detailed how industrial man had raised his lead burden 100 times and levels of atmospheric lead 1,000 times."

"There is at least one simple lesson to be drawn from the tetraethyl lead story. Industry cannot be trusted to regulate itself, as Clair Patterson–the man who dated the earth and single-handedly deflated ethylized science–once remarked. “It is not just a mistake for public health agencies to cooperate and collaborate with industries in investigating and deciding whether public health is endangered–it is a direct abrogation and violation of the duties and responsibilities of those public health organizations.” " - Patterson

I had one symptom that is probably more common with lead poisoning than MS: I had BAD hallucinations. I discontinued Amantadine, and they mostly went away. No conclusion from that.

Lead poisoning is pretty much irreversible. That means humanity will not have gotten the lead out until we are all dead.

This article is pretty far down the Google page.

https://www.thenation.com/article/secret-history-lead/

Have a nice day. :-)
Not a doctor.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

There is probably lots of research grant money could be got for measuring lead in MS, but it's pretty much the same in everybody. I would like to see if anybody tests for a correlation between the leaded gas ban and a lowering of incidence of MS.
Not a doctor.
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Not a doctor.

Return to “General Discussion”