Cold creeping up my arms and legs

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
THX1138
Family Elder

Cold creeping up my arms and legs

Post by THX1138 »

When I don't eat enough during the day, my hands get cold. My feet would too, if I wasn't wearing shoes. If I continue not eating enough during the day, as the day progresses, the coldness creeps up my arms and legs.

I also notice that under-eating causes greater spasticity.

What's going on here?
RedneckMBA
Family Member

Re: Cold creeping up my arms and legs

Post by RedneckMBA »

I am trying to lose weight. I have noticed that days when I do good at dieting are “bad MS” days for me. Symptoms like tingling feet, brain fog, and especially fatigue are all worse than normal.

Trying to lose weight to feel and be better. But I actually feel worse. What’s a mother to do?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

The question for both of you is - what are you actually eating? It won't be a case of targeting just one thing.

Regards,
RedneckMBA
Family Member

Post by RedneckMBA »

In my case, lots of good food. Fresh vegs in salads and cooked fresh vegs. Fruit. Lean fish, pork, chicken, and beef. No junk foods. No prepared foods like TV dinners or cold cuts. Whole grain breads and cereals. Small amounts of rice and potatoes.

I am basically doing Weight Watchers program...I did it successfully in the past before I was dx’d with MS.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Sounds like a good diet. So what do you eat that when you feel like the symptoms are less noticeable?

Regards,
RedneckMBA
Family Member

Post by RedneckMBA »

I eat the same when not dieting. But I will eat larger portions. I’ll also allow an occasional dessert. Consumption of sugar definitely helps with fatigue.

I asked my primary care physician about this. His recommendation was to make sure I spread my eating out evenly through the day. I already do that.. so no help.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

So we stay on topic we’re just talking about fatigue and diet, nothing else.
There are a couple of things related to fatigue but I will try to make it as straightforward as I can.
Energy is driven by our ability to make a molecule called ATP (adenosine triphosphate). We make it and use it in every process in the body. The ability to make it is limited by the pathways involved and the ability to access the building blocks involved. Some steps are quick and some are quite slow.
The issue is ATP isn’t stored, it’s made on demand. There isn’t a lot of it at any one time. If you stopped making it your heart cells would have none left after 10 heartbeats so it’s critical to have the ingredients always available.
The bulk of ATP is provided through a chain of steps inside part of the cell called the mitochondria. These steps involve passing electrons donated by fatty acids down a series of complexes called the electron transport chain to a tiny machine called ATPase where new ATP is made.
If you have fatigue then this process needs a hand. You have to get fatty acids, you have to get electrons into the mitochondria and you have to get ATP out of the mitochondria.
The fatty acids come from food. As this is a simple explanation you can look up sources of fatty acids. Sugar is not going to donate the electron. That’s a different process. You need fatty acids but you don’t need refined sugar at all.
There are many types of sugar but just refined sugar hits the body too rapidly. It gives a short term high but it does not add anything to making ATP. Refined sugar overwhelms the body’s processes. It makes the body rapidly deal with a sudden sugar surge and promotes the conversion of surplus sugar into blubber to be drawn on in famine. Our global problem of obesity and diabetes is all about this.
The membrane around mitochondria is practically impenetrable. The electrons can’t get in unless they hitch a ride on a substance that can readily cross from outside to inside. The best molecule is called carnitine. The process is called the carnitine shuttle.
The electron is transferred by a molecule called Coenzyme Q10. It works because it can both donate and accept electrons. Most molecules can’t do both.
If you take CoQ10 and carnitine in the form acetyl-l-carnitine you can rebuild your capacity to make ATP.
Try to find brands that have the ingredients listed as detailed in the ingredients on the products which I take - https://www.bioceuticals.com.au/product ... xcel-150mg and http://www.hygiology.com.au/Acetyl-L-Carnitine/p=690/ . Practitioner quality brands ensure good laboratory practice. That’s essential or you risk buying lollies.
When you make ATP you want it to be stable so add magnesium to your diet. I use this one http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/buy/ ... 20-Tablets
If your diet includes added sugar try changing it. That includes breakfast and packaged food.
As a last thing, your doctor may have put you on a statin. If he has then, you have knocked out the pathway that make CoQ10 and you will be struggling. You need CoQ10 supplements regardless if this has happened.
Hope that helps and you can follow it.
Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Thanks !

I do not take (nor would I ever) statins and no added sugars, nor sweet foods.

Would chronic under eating mess up the energy production process, also ?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I'm not sure I know what under eating really means. Some people swear by fasting.

Have you been checked for Diabetes Insipidus? It's not the normal diabetes so don't jump the gun.

Have a look at this- https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/hea ... -insipidus

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Undereating = too few calories per day, given weight, activity level etc.

I've not been checked for D. I.

Thanks

Return to “General Discussion”