MS and APS and PD

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
koneall
Family Elder

MS and APS and PD

Post by koneall »

Ten months ago I was dx'd with multiple sclerosis and subsequently antiphospholipid syndrome and then Parkinson's Disease. For APS there are three blood tests: Lupus anticoagulant, antiphospholipid enzyme and beta-glycoprotein. As of two days ago one Md is now saying I don't have APS. I probably never had it. So I can stop one of the three drugs I'm on. I wonder if MS might have caused the confusion. Both diseases cause lesions seen on MRI. My first sign was blood clots in my arm that migrated to my chest. Then an attack of vertigo. One chronic sign that never really bothered me was smelling things that weren't real. After a few months on tysabri these phantom signs went away. A day or two before the monthly infusions the fake smells come back. Ten months later I still deal with phlebitis: pain in arm and shoulder and chest. Ultrasound says the clots have dissipated. The third doc says PD is a possibility. I have to take sinemet and am increasing the dose every few weeks. So far it has not reduced the arm tremor. He noticed an odd gait and said that might be a sign of PD. But might that also be a sign of MS?????

I'm glad it's not APS. Many with that condition die from strokes. I wish it wasn't PD because that often puts its victims in wheelchairs. There is a test for PD but it's rather invasive and hasn't been suggested by any of the neuros. Eventually I go to the upper limit of sinemet and after a time if there's no change I assume like the APS diagnosis someone will decide I don't have PD. Then my only problem is MS. Logically having one disease makes sense. Even though I can't find literature that connects MS to blood clots or arm tremors.

Return to “General Discussion”