Do lesions grow bigger or do they stay the same size?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Megs32
Getting to Know You...

Do lesions grow bigger or do they stay the same size?

Post by Megs32 »

I had my second MRI done last week and compared to the one done the beginning of November there are several new multiple lesions. There is a larger one that hasn't grown or shrunk down since my first MRI. My neurologist has me set up next week to do a lumbar puncture and they are sedating me. I don't know what stage or even what kind it is yet. How do I know its not a tumor?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Do lesions grow bigger or do they stay the same size?

Post by NHE »

MS lesions can be very dynamic. They can come and go without a change in clinical symptoms. Here is a time lapse MRI depicting the change in lesions in an asymptomatic patient over the course of a year.

http://www.msdiscovery.org/news/news_sy ... -meets-eye
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

A good question to ask your neurologist is why do a lumber puncture when you already have a confirmed diagnosis by MRI? How will a lumber puncture change the way he regards you?

Regards
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

lol i'm picturing the doc trying to orient the needle bevel appropriately into a 2x4
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Megs32
Getting to Know You...

Post by Megs32 »

I've only seen the doctor once and he rubbed me the wrong way. He said he wanted to be cautious and ordered a tilt table test to rule out my dizziness and this second MRI. I have no formal diagnosis yet and in my opinion he wants the LP to give me a formal diagnosis of MS. I'm not on any medications for it or know anything besides it's a possibility at the moment.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

OK, that makes sense. Your symptoms must be mild if he wants a lumber puncture. The issue is one symptom doesn't definitely mean MS. The test will reveal if there are any bands of protein showing up in the spinal fluid.

The only thing I'd say in his defence is that he is on the front foot compared to the bulk of doctors who just do nothing. A good bedside manner is no guarantee that you will be given good advice.

Regards,