Tysabri and sunburn?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
koneall
Family Elder

Tysabri and sunburn?

Post by koneall »

I don't spend much time outdoors. An hour or so at lunchtime spent jogging is about it. So why do I have a rather deep tan and constant peeling sunburn?

TIA,

kevin
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Tysabri and sunburn?

Post by Scott1 »

Hi Kevin,

I had a look for reports of a relationship but there wasn't much I could find.

My gut instinct is you should complain about this and see a dermatologist. I live in Australia and sun exposure comes with the lifestyle. What you're describing doesn't feel right. Tysabri is not a medication to treat flippantly so don't be put off by a quick dismissal.

Regards,
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

koneall wrote:I don't spend much time outdoors. An hour or so at lunchtime spent jogging is about it. So why do I have a rather deep tan and constant peeling sunburn?
While you're working on figuring this out, it sounds like some good sun block is called for. Sunburn will predispose you to skin cancer even years later.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

The mid-day sun is when the sun's rays are the strongest.

Have you tried running early in the morning (a good time to run because the air is cooler) or in the early evening to see if that makes a difference?

Perhaps your body is talking to you. A tan is what your skin does to try to protect you from harmful UV rays. You may want to listen to it.

It is probably best to stay out of the sun during peak periods. I live in South Florida where the sun is pretty strong and am careful not to go out in the middle of the day. I do not use sun screen.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

koneall wrote:I don't spend much time outdoors. An hour or so at lunchtime spent jogging is about it. So why do I have a rather deep tan and constant peeling sunburn?
What other medications, supplements and/or skin care products are you using?

I include the last category because some skin lotions, such as Eucerin, carry a clear warning about increased sunlight sensitivity. This is their warning on their "Intensive Repair" lotion.
Sunburn Alert: This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.
koneall
Family Elder

Post by koneall »

Thanks for the replies. One concern with tysabri is JC virus, benign in most people but dangerous to anyone with MS. That suggests it's having a major effect on the body's immune system. I was diagnosed exactly one year ago. I've had no recurrences since the first bout of vertigo. I know it won't happen but I'd like to get off drugs. Yesterday fell asleep on the porch with a book and overcast. An hour later woke up to brilliant sun and a new sunburn.