Vasovagal reaction to bloodwork prior to spinal tap

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Patraw
Getting to Know You...

Vasovagal reaction to bloodwork prior to spinal tap

Post by Patraw »

I went and got my lumbar puncture Tuesday afternoon, and it went pretty well. I only felt the initial needle prick and after that it was completely painless. The doctor used flouroscopy to guide the needle and I laid on my stomach during the entire thing, which took about half an hour. I made sure to drink a lot of water afterwards (and some tea, for the caffeine), so I didn't develop a bad headache or any nausea from it either. On the other hand, I had to do some bloodwork before said procedure, and that didn't go as well. My neurologist ordered a LOT of tests, so the blood technician had to fill quite a few vials with my blood and she blew the vein in my left arm halfway through the process. Almost immediately afterwards, I started sweating profusely and felt chilled/sick and asked her to give me a break for a while before she resumed on my other arm. As I was okay again after several minutes, I'm guessing that was just a Vasovagal reaction, but I've never had one of those before, and I'm not squeamish about blood or needles (the last time I had bloodwork done, in April, things went completely fine, and I watched my blood flowing into the vials the whole time with no discomfort), so, I'm really not sure why that would have happened on this occasion--I've never had that kind or reaction to having my blood drawn before and it was pretty frightening/disturbing to me. Since this was my first time ever getting a spinal tap, I was slightly nervous about that, but I wouldn't say I was particularly stressed out or anxious (and one would think I'd have had the Vasovagal reaction during that, not while I was having my blood drawn beforehand). Anybody else experience something similar? Maybe I should just not look at the blood being drawn in the future?