Mobility scooter

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
David1949
Family Elder

Mobility scooter

Post by David1949 »

I can still walk short distances with my cane and foot brace. But I want to extend my travel distance to maybe 3 miles so I'm thinking of buying a mobility scooter. I would be driving it on pavement most of the time though if it can go grass that would be a plus. It has to be something can can be taken apart and put in the trunk of my SUV. Anyone have any suggested models?
David1949
Family Elder

Re: Mobility scooter

Post by David1949 »

Well nobody answered so I took a chance and bought this one https://www.amazon.com/Premium-3-Wheel- ... ty+scooter

It's supposed to arrive in a week. I'll let you know how well I like it ... or hate it.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Great deal! Looks nice. Best of luck with it. Is it turbocharged? I have joked with my son in the past that should the need arise for me to need one I want a turbocharged model!!

Actually I didn't realize the price had dropped so much. I thought they were thousands of dollars.

Please let us know how it works out for you.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

David1949 wrote:Well nobody answered so I took a chance and bought this one https://www.amazon.com/Premium-3-Wheel- ... ty+scooter

It's supposed to arrive in a week. I'll let you know how well I like it ... or hate it.
Did you get the optional trailer?

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/humor-f16 ... ml#p201481
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote:Great deal! Looks nice. Best of luck with it. Is it turbocharged? I have joked with my son in the past that should the need arise for me to need one I want a turbocharged model
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/ne ... ooter.html
  • Man builds world's fastest mobility scooter
    A plumber has built the fastest mobility scooter in the world, capable of hitting 69mph.

David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

NHE
:-D well my scooter is not quite as quick as that. It only hits 4mph. But it's way faster that my stair lift which takes 40 seconds to go 13 feet. (0.2 MPH)
David1949
Family Elder

Post by David1949 »

Review of Travel Pro Premium 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter
My scooter arrived a few days ago from Amazon. It took about 1 hour for my wife and I to get it out of the box and put it together. I charged the battery until the charging light went off. (About 3 hours)
Then I took it on it's maiden voyage. My wife walked with me as we traveled around the neighborhood. So here are my impressions so far:
-It's quick. The manual says the top speed is 4 mph. That sounds slow, but my wife who is a fast walker had to ask me to slow down.
-It's very quiet.
-Its easy. I rode it around the neighborhood without breaking a sweat. :-)
-It's fun.
-It moves very nicely on smooth pavement. I tried it for a short distance on the lawn. It was OK there too although the lawn was fairly flat so I'll have to try it out on a bumpier section in the future.
-Three wheel scooters such as this one are not as stable as the four wheeled ones. One of the Amazon reviewers complained that his mother tipped it over several times, but I didn't have any problem with that. Just take it slow when turning.
-The price was low; $599. That's less than most comparable scooters. (But yes it is made in China)
-The reviews at Amazon were good, mostly 5 stars and no 2 star or 1 star reviews.
-Most scooters can be broken down into several parts for transporting in your car. The heaviest of those parts might be the limiting factor in determining if you can lift it into your car.
Of the scooters I looked at this one had the lightest heavy part, only 27.5 pounds. My wife and I were able to break it down and load it into the back of my Jeep Patriot with little trouble. I'm going to see if I can make a ramp out of plywood so I can power it into the Jeep without taking anything apart.

Conclusion
The best thing to have is a good pair of legs that allow you to walk around normally. But if MS has taken that from you then this scooter might be the second best.

So far I like it ...alot!
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

There are scooter lifts that can be installed to lift it into the back of your Jeep or ones that attach to your receiver hitch. Bruno is a good company but there are other places you could get them from.
https://www.bruno.com/products/scooter- ... -crossover