Pay it forward

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
David1949
Family Elder

Pay it forward

Post by David1949 »

My wife and I were having breakfast at a local restaurant this morning. A man sitting near us came by our table as he was leaving and said: "you look refreshing so I'm paying $10 toward your bill". Then he laid down a paid receipt for $10, wished us a happy day and said: "pay it forward" and then walked out.
At first I thought it was a joke but I asked the waitress and she said he really did pay 10 bucks for us. We thought that was nice so we paid it forward to the waitress by adding $10 to her tip.
The whole thing was certainly unusual but very nice. It occurs to me now that we really didn't pay anything because the $10 was given to us, so I suppose we'll have to find someone who could use a few bucks and pay it to them out of our own pocket this time.

There was a movie a few years ago called "Pay it Forward" in which people would do nice things for strangers for no reason other than just to be nice. I guess the guy in the restaurant was just playing it out. Anyway it seems like a nice way for the world to work.
I hope no one is upset with for me posting a non-MS article here, but it seemed like a story worth telling.
Dave

PS If anyone objects I'll take it down.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Pay it forward

Post by NHE »

David1949 wrote:My wife and I were having breakfast at a local restaurant this morning. A man sitting near us came by our table as he was leaving and said: "you look refreshing so I'm paying $10 toward your bill". Then he laid down a paid receipt for $10, wished us a happy day and said: "pay it forward" and then walked out.
At first I thought it was a joke but I asked the waitress and she said he really did pay 10 bucks for us. We thought that was nice so we paid it forward to the waitress by adding $10 to her tip.
The whole thing was certainly unusual but very nice. It occurs to me now that we really didn't pay anything because the $10 was given to us...
Sure you did. Another choice you could have made would have been to just keep the $10.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I first learned about this concept about 25 years ago by accident. I donated several computers to my son's elementary school and sure enough within a week my business received a large unexpected order that more than covered the cost of the donation. I have found over the years that just about every time I have 'paid it forward', I have received back a benefit in one form or another that well exceeded the costs.

It really works. What goes around truly comes around! With interest!!!
hargarah
Family Member

Post by hargarah »

Ask the drug companies to reciprocate this concept please! Stem Cells would be light years ahead :)

Return to “General Discussion”