Experimental Tongue Therapy Helps Restore Brain Function

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Experimental Tongue Therapy Helps Restore Brain Function

Post by NHE » Sat May 04, 2019 11:37 pm

A small pilot trial with the PoNS in 10 MS patients found positive results on the Multiple Sclerosis Impact Scale-29 (MSIS-29) survey.

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:08 am

Helius Medical Technologies, Inc. Announces Addition of Three New PoNS™ Authorized Clinics in Canada
https://heliusmedical.com/index.php/new ... /2019/280-

NEWTOWN, Pa., June 05, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Helius Medical Technologies, Inc. (Nasdaq:HSDT) (TSX:HSM) (“Helius” or the “Company”), a neurotech company focused on neurological wellness, today reported that three new clinics have been authorized to provide PoNS Treatment™ in Canada, giving Canadians broader regional access to the Company’s innovative treatment. The new clinics join the current roster of existing clinics authorized to provide the PoNS Treatment, including Neurotherapy Montreal and Surrey Neuroplasticity Clinic.

Since opening the first authorized clinic, Neurotherapy Montreal in Quebec, in December 2018, and the second authorized clinic, Surrey Neuroplasticity Clinic in British Columbia, in February 2019, the Company has made it a priority to make the PoNS accessible to patients from coast-to-coast. Joining the existing PoNS authorized neurological rehabilitation clinics are Advantage 4 Athletes Training Center and Therapy Clinic in Markham, Ontario; Synaptic Spinal Cord Injury and Neuro Rehabilitation Centre in Calgary, Alberta; and Apollo South Physical Therapy Centre in Ottawa, Ontario.

The clinics were selected by Heuro Canada Inc. (“Heuro”), a company organized pursuant to the strategic alliance agreement between Helius and Health Tech Connex, Inc., to develop a system of clinics authorized to provide PoNS Treatment through the Heuro Program in Canada. Heuro is focused on improving the quality of life of Canadians experiencing chronic balance deficits caused by mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injuries and is proud to now offer the Heuro Program featuring PoNS Treatment in five of Canada’s largest census metropolitan areas.

“We are pleased that the strategy to accelerate expansion plans in Canada has driven the further development of the clinic system authorized to provide PoNS Treatment,” said Philippe Deschamps, Chief Executive Officer of Helius. “Patients who have had mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injuries are often not able to travel long distances and now, with a presence in Montreal, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary and Ottawa, over 50% of Canadians will have direct local access to PoNS Treatment,” continued Deschamps.

The PoNS Treatment is an innovative, non-invasive treatment which combines the use of the PoNS™ device with targeted physical therapy. The PoNS device is authorized in Canada for the acute treatment of chronic balance deficit due to mild-to-moderate traumatic brain injury, and is to be used in conjunction with physical therapy.

hargarah
Family Member

Post by hargarah » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am

I called Apollo in Ottawa and they said they should have the PoNS devices in stock by August. They put me on "the list". I also heard that the cost is around $30,000.00!

This is really insane. I mean is the device made out of Gold or Platinum? Finally there is a treatment that helps and they price it to the MAX!!!! :lol:

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:29 am

hargarah wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am
I called Apollo in Ottawa and they said they should have the PoNS devices in stock by August. They put me on "the list". I also heard that the cost is around $30,000.00!

This is really insane. I mean is the device made out of Gold or Platinum? Finally there is a treatment that helps and they price it to the MAX!!!! :lol:
It's 2 weeks of intensive PT at the clinic followed by 12 weeks of at home PT with weekly testing at the clinic. Yes, the price is steep. Did they send you the treatment protocol files?

ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:48 am

Wouldn't this treatment be covered by OHIP if you are living in Ontario or other medical insurance?

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:09 pm

NHE wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:29 am
hargarah wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:56 am

It's 2 weeks of intensive PT at the clinic followed by 12 weeks of at home PT with weekly testing at the clinic. Yes, the price is steep. Did they send you the treatment protocol files?
Regarding the cost, I had a family member who was in PT following both hip and knee replacements. Medicare was billed $380 for a half hour session if I remember correctly. PT isn't inexpensive. Here in the US, a PhD is required to be a physical therapist.

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:36 pm

NHE wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:29 am
Did they send you the treatment protocol files?
Here's a description of their treatment.