Trouble swallowing esophagus being pushed over?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
vender
Family Member

Post by vender »

Hello all, they did a barium swallow test and found my esophagus is being pushed over. Is this common with MS? They have done ultrasound, x-ray, CT scan, next is a scope.
David1949
Family Elder

Re: Trouble swallowing esophagus being pushed over?

Post by David1949 »

I'm not a doctor or medical authority but I have had many conversations with people with MS and I've never heard of this being an MS issue. On the other hand MS is a strange disease and I suppose it's possible that it could cause such problems.

I think you need to wait for the additional tests to determine what is causing it.
vender
Family Member

Post by vender »

I agree. Apparently we can develop a twisting swallowing motion? They see that. They just don't know what is pushing my esophagus over. I guess you would call it more of a curve Turn.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi i have had serious trouble with swallowing before (dysphagia), followed by nasty GERD (all fixed now yay)
but i have never heard of the esophagus being 'pushed over' or being a 'curve turn'.
did you hear or see a medical terms for the twisting swallowing motion? i have some ideas re what might be going on, but would like to see more detail about exactly what you are describing.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

anything here sound like your deal?

Dysphagia Revisited: Common and Unusual Causes
https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/rg.351130150

or here?

All you need to know about cricopharyngeal spasm
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319771.php
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

It sounds like a hiatus hernia. Did they rule that out?

I found changing the pattern of food intake helped mine. i.e don't drink before you eat and try space out the two activities.

Also a lot of pilates style exercise will strengthen the muscles around that area and help the sphincter involved function more normally. Particularly the movements that involve stretching the torso by focusing on what is known as back extension. In that position you are elongating the front of the torso and opening up the chest.

In terms of MS, I would say it is unrelated and it is more likely to be just a common physical problem.

Regards,
vender
Family Member

Post by vender »

TECHNIQUE: Fluoroscopic examination of the entire esophagus with image documentation. Double contrast esophagram with barium.

INDICATION: aspiration, dysphagia

COMPARISON: None

PQRS RADIATION EXPOSURE: The total fluoroscopy time was 2 minutes. 62 spot fluoroscopic images were obtained during the examination.

FINDINGS: There is no hiatal hernia. No gastroesophageal reflux was elicited. Some tertiary esophageal contractions were noted several times during the course of the examination.

Impression:
1. Deviation of the esophagus to the left at the thoracic inlet. Question tethering of the esophagus related to some scarring and volume loss in the left lung apex given surgical changes. Alternatively, question mass effect upon the esophagus from a substernal thyroid goiter, a right apical bleb/bulla or other.
2. Mildly impaired esophageal motility with some tertiary esophageal contractions noted.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

OK this is news we can use. tertiary esophageal contractions, impaired motility those look potentially actionable.
scarring secondary to surgery sounds more challenging. back story?
thyroid goiter sounds like there could be action items. any other info about that?
vender
Family Member

Post by vender »

Hello well I have had five spontaneous pneumothorax they did A wedge resection and a pluradesis on the left lung.
Let me know if I can provide more information. Thank you
vender
Family Member

Post by vender »

I am going to see a G.I. doctor. And get a scope. Sorry for sounding stupid what are "action items"
vender
Family Member

Post by vender »

My neck feels like it's getting bigger by the day and pain from my neck and my shoulders
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok spontaneous idiopathic pneumothorax, or spontaneous pneumothorax secondary to a known cause like injury, lung disease or other? oh i just found info on 'blebs'

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20350367
Ruptured air blisters. Small air blisters (blebs) can develop on the top of your lung. These blebs sometimes burst — allowing air to leak into the space that surrounds the lungs.

also, any other info re the thyroid goiter? is that a past dx or something to investigate as a poss dx?

re action items i'm being a bit cagey because i would like to read and understand a bit more context before i'm certain what i'm thinking could make sense
vender
Family Member

Post by vender »

My neck feels like it's getting bigger by the day and pain from my neck and my shoulders.

Also I am so damn tired and not a ms tired. I am wiped out. It just seems lately everything is progressing from my legs. My optimal plasia optholmoplgia is getting worse
vender
Family Member

Post by vender »

Nothing the thyroid. I think that is why I am scheduled with a G.I. doctor?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i just found this. it's old but heads in the direction i'm leaning.

DIAPHRAGMATIC SPASM ASSOCIATED WITH RECURRENT LEFT PNEUMOTHORAX
http://annals.org/aim/article-abstract/673510

Epidemiology of spontaneous pneumothorax in women
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f819/e ... 47176d.pdf
Rossi and Goplerud speculated that the development of catamenial pneumothorax is due to severe spasms of the bronchial pathways and pulmonary blood vessels from prostaglandin F2α

i don't know what catamenial means it just came up from the search on pneumothorax spasm

sry to hear you're feeling rough.
okay it has finally dawned on me lol - are you using voice recognition?

Return to “General Discussion”