Prophylactic treatment against GM-CSF

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Petr75
Family Elder

Prophylactic treatment against GM-CSF

Post by Petr75 »

2018 Sep 14
Ludwig Cancer Research, Brussels Branch, Brussels, Belgium
Prophylactic treatment against GM-CSF, but not IL-17, abolishes relapses in a chronic murine model of multiple sclerosis
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30216414

Abstract
The pathogenic role of IL-17 and GM-CSF has been unravelled in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), a murine model of multiple sclerosis (MS). However, in most models, EAE is characterised by a monophasic attack which is not representative of the relapsing nature nor the chronicity displayed in MS. Here, we used proteolipid protein peptide (PLP139-151 ) to trigger EAE-relapses (EAE-II) in SJL mice that had recovered from a primary-EAE episode (EAE-I). This procedure resulted in severe and irreversible disease that, unlike EAE-I, was not abolished by anti-IL-17-mAb. In contrast, prophylactic anti-GM-CSF-mAb treatment prevented EAE-I and -II. Strikingly, the expression of T-cell transcription factors and cytokines/chemokines in mice treated with anti-GM-CSF during both EAE episodes was silenced. Anti-GM-CSF-mAb treatment administered only during EAE-II did not completely prevent relapses but mice ultimately reached full recovery. Anti-GM-CSF treatment also strongly impaired and ultimately resolved monophasic MOG35-55 -induced EAE in C57Bl/6 mice. In such protected mice, anti-GM-CSF treatment also prevented a further relapse induced by MOG-revaccination. These results underscore the critical role of GM-CSF on pro-inflammatory mediator production. Furthermore, we observed a strong preventive and curative effect of anti-GM-CSF neutralisation in two EAE models, relapsing and chronic. Altogether these findings are relevant for further MS research.
https://www.eboro.cz