MAGNESIUM and sleep

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
sweet50s

MAGNESIUM and sleep

Post by sweet50s »

Hi everyone!

I truly need some advice here.
Started taking magnesium hudroxide 300mg once a day to help with sleep. After about 2 weeks I slept better BUT I got a bad skin reaction ( my rosacea bursted out) , my skin in my face started tingling with burned feeling and even when I thouched my skin on my neck I got all red! I stoped the magnesium and my skin went back to normal after about 3 days.
I asked my GP about this and he had nothing to say..
The thing is that the magnesium helped me sleep better so is it possible to take some other type of magnesium?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: MAGNESIUM and sleep

Post by NHE »

sweet50s wrote:I truly need some advice here.
Started taking magnesium hydroxide 300mg once a day to help with sleep. After about 2 weeks I slept better BUT I got a bad skin reaction ( my rosacea bursted out) , my skin in my face started tingling with burned feeling and even when I touched my skin on my neck I got all red! I stopped the magnesium and my skin went back to normal after about 3 days.
I asked my GP about this and he had nothing to say..
The thing is that the magnesium helped me sleep better so is it possible to take some other type of magnesium?
Sure. You could try magnesium gylcinate.
sweet50s

Post by sweet50s »

Thank you for your reply NHE.
About the magnesium gylcinate, do you know if it can trigger rosacea skin outburst?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

sweet50s wrote:About the magnesium gylcinate, do you know if it can trigger rosacea skin outburst?
No. Though it sounds like what your taking is triggering a proinflammatory reaction. You mentioned that it was magnesium hydroxide. However, I suspect that it's likely magnesium oxide which is more common in supplements. This form is known to irritate the stomach. I suspect that this may be related to the increased inflammation.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i remember telling the nurses at the school clinic over 10 yrs ago, that i thought my stomach pain was from constipation due to having taken milk of magnesia (magnesiumm hydroxide).
in hindsight (no pun intended) i bet they were laughing up their sleeves at me.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.