Biotin, good news (in french)

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Jaded
Family Elder

Re: Biotin, good news (in french)

Post by Jaded »

Sorry to hear that Jerry.

Guessing that statement might mean no myelin regrowth (but symptoms improved)

I’ll check more studies over the weekend
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"5 to 10 mg per day caused significant hair loss"

Unlikely but there is no way of knowing for sure - it is certainly possible though. 5-10 mg is a minimal dose and certainly not a high dose. Hair loss and brittle nails is often associated with low levels of biotin.

Dr. Google says:

“Biotin deficiency is rare and low levels may result in brittle nails and hair loss, however, hair loss and brittle nails may have multiple causes and taking biotin supplements may actually halt this process and even help to reverse it.”

I wish I had known about biotin years ago when my hair loss started!

Sometimes things are not as they appear. And often there is no way of knowing for sure the exact cause.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

ElliotB wrote:"5 to 10 mg per day caused significant hair loss"

Dr. Google says:

“Biotin deficiency is rare and low levels may result in brittle nails and hair loss, however, hair loss and brittle nails may have multiple causes and taking biotin supplements may actually halt this process and even help to reverse it.”

I wish I had known about biotin years ago when my hair loss started!

Sometimes things are not as they appear. And often there is no way of knowing for sure the exact cause.
Just going off a memory here, but when this whole biotin thing blew up, I did some reading (mostly in google scholar results), and what I found was a history of Biotin to Hair loss/regeneration. The published trial I found concluded that there was little to no supporting evidence for a link between Biotin and curing baldness, but noted that participants reported a reduction in grey (thats gray for the US) hairs. As I said it is based off a memory of reading a published article.
ElliotB wrote:My point is simply that people within and outside the study (including some here on TIMS) are reporting some success with high dose biotin and regardless of the specific reason they are doing better, the bottom line is that they are doing better!
You can not say that with scientific certainty. All you can say is that they feel and/or think they are doing better. And hence we have double blinded, placebo controlled trials.

PS: I have been on high dose Biotin soon after it was reported to help MS.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Hi Cure

That does explain my experience - thanks.

What dose have you been on? And what made you keep it up?