Neuro appointment

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Jaded
Family Elder

Neuro appointment

Post by Jaded »

I had my long-awaited appointment today.

I feel totally lost and unsupported.

It was a long session - and it was like we were at odds. I wonder if he expects me to just be happy and high five him on the way out because he has devoted his life to trying to researching MS.

Of course I had to ask about different options. I was repeatedly told that the NHS has nothing to offer me.

I left feeling like I was making it up. The increased loss of balance....he noted it. The bladder issues....noted. 'How are your bowels?' was the response. The immune system feeling weak...no drugs for that. The stiffness in my legs...he couldn't identify that in his examination. High tone then? Nope. I am fine according to him. Why can't I walk properly, with ease, with balance? Why can't I go up the stairs without holding on for dear life? I AM NOT OLD even though he said none of us is getting any younger.

He said that my foot problems were unrelated to MS. This is the biggest issue I have with him. Total rubbish.

I don't know what your experiences are. I should probably ask to change and see someone else - he offered me me this option twice in that time.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Neuro appointment

Post by ElliotB »

Not sure what you are/were expecting but if you are unhappy with your neurologist, try another one.

But the reality there is little a neurologist can really do for most of us. I gave up on mine about 6 months ago after several years of seeing him. Really what can any doctor do?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Yes, change neurologists.

Regards,

(We have met and that foot comment is ridiculous)
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Hi

Thanks Elliott and Scott1. Yes, I was about to email him. I feel like I wasted my time and got angry in the process.

I would at least expect some acknowledgement that what I am experiencing is MS and is valid. Honestly I was so angry - I don't want to see him again.

Yes it is Scott1- hasn't he heard of foot drop? Crazy.