I peed over a gallon last night

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
THX1138
Family Elder

I peed over a gallon last night

Post by THX1138 »

I am chronically dehydrated and last night I peed about 1 gallon in 8 hours. Over night I drank about 40 oz of water mix (see below). I also had done a magnesium treatment before bed and this had made my muscles significantly less stiff and the muscle spasms much milder. But it only lasted for about 4 hours. Each time I got up to pee during the 4 hours, I noticed the stiffness and muscle spasms were progressively worse. After 4 hours the stiffness and muscle spasms were back to normal (bad).

I normally pee roughly half a gallon and drink about 40 oz water overnight.

During the day I drink about a gallon of water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan crystal salt, 750 mg of potassium citrate, 1 tsp Natural Calm, and 1 cap of Remyte.

I have to drink water overnight otherwise my muscle spasms are much much worse and I might not even be able to get out of bed in the morning (It has happened).

I don't drink alcohol and I don't drink caffeine and I don't exercise to speak of and I don't have a hot environment and I don't take diuretic drugs.

I do take about 1 gram of fish oil per day.

ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: I peed over a gallon last night

Post by ElliotB »

And how much do you drink during the day? The more you drink, the more you will have to urinate, this is normal.

"I am chronically dehydrated"

Are you really chronically dehydrated or always thirsty? There is a big difference!

Signs of severe dehydration include:

Not peeing or having very dark yellow pee.
Very dry skin.
Feeling dizzy.
Rapid heartbeat.
Rapid breathing.
Sunken eyes.
Sleepiness, lack of energy, confusion or irritability.
Fainting.

According to Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic, the average bladder can hold between 10 and 15 ounces when at maximum capacity. If you're drinking enough water for your body and peeing around six to seven times in 24 hours (or around every 2.5 hours), all is likely well. You are obviously exceeding that but ultimately the amount you are drinking comes into play.

According to Dr. Google, it is perfectly normal to pass urine frequently when we drink a lot of water. ... When there is excess water in the body, the brain usually produces less of a hormone called anti diuretic, which in turn causes the kidneys to produce a lot of dilute urine, until this excess water is removed.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

And how much do you drink during the day?
1 gallon (in 24 hours)
Are you really chronically dehydrated or always thirsty?
Rarely do I feel thirsty.
My saliva is often viscous, however.

Signs of severe dehydration include:

Not peeing or having very dark yellow pee. --- Not unless I drink less, like 3 quarts a day\night when my pee gets dark yellow. But I usually pee roughly every 2 even at night.
Very dry skin. --- No Dry eyes, though.
Feeling dizzy. --- Yes
Rapid heartbeat. --- HB gets faster from eating. Still not that fast though - probably 80 BPM tops.
Rapid breathing. --- No
Sunken eyes. --- Not that I'm aware of
Sleepiness, lack of energy, confusion or irritability. --- Very much, so for all
Fainting. --- No

All my symptoms get worse unless I drink a lot throughout the day and night.

A nutritionally oriented MD gave me some test that said that I am chronically dehydrated.

My pulsatile tinnitus is louder when I drink less. The pulsatile tinnitus largely goes away on the left side of my head when I'm more dehydrated. Upon drinking a pint or more water, I start hearing the tinnitus similarly on both sides of my head.
According to Cleveland Clinic and Mayo Clinic, the average bladder can hold between 10 and 15 ounces when at maximum capacity.
Only 10-15 oz - I don't think so.

Thanks
Last edited by THX1138 on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

What are normal bladder habits?
A healthy bladder can hold one and a half to two cups (300-400mls) of urine during the day and about four cups (800mls) at night. It is normal to pass urine five or six times a day if you drink between 6-8 glasses of fluid. It is usual to empty your bladder when you get out of bed in the morning, three times during the day, and before you go to bed at night. As we age this pattern may change, as older people tend to make more urine at night.
https://www.continence.org.au/pages/bla ... ining.html

In my previous post I said,
Only 10-15 oz - I don't think so.
because I usually don't pee that little and I often pee more than twice that much (I've measured it.)
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Did you check out diabetes insipidous? Its completely different from the normal type we think of.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes-insipidus/

Regards,
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Scott1, thank you.

I read the site that you linked. It sounds like I do not have a case of diabetes insipidus.

My urine definitely darkens with reduced fluid intake (from light yellow to dark yellow), indicating that ADH is doing its job, as far as I can tell. That is my take on it anyway.

Reflecting upon what you guys have said, it appears that my bladder is filling too much, creating an urgent urgency to pee. If I remain sitting in my chair, not moving, I can go a few hours without peeing. But then when I stand up or walk, the need to pee comes on suddenly.
A previous doctor had said that being constipated could cause urinary urgency.
This urgent urgency had gone away a few years ago after I had a colonoscopy for which I had flushed out my bowels. This is the only time this has happened, ever (in the past 8 years or so). The urgency to pee went away for a day or two after I returned from the hospital. But then it came back again. I think my problem is that I'm a little too full of s***............
....Now don't anyone be too eager to agree :)) :)) :))
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

There are two types. One relates to the kidney and the other the hypothalamus. It sounds like you've got nothing to loose by testing for both.https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes- ... diagnosis/

Regards,

Return to “General Discussion”