Optic neuritis?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Mill

Optic neuritis?

Post by Mill »

Can optic neuritis cause pain lasting 6 weeks +?
I have had optic neuritis years ago and it didn’t hurt.
I have had pain for 6 weeks so far.
I have a dull ache pain in the corner of my left eye with occasional stabbing and it’s very irritated and sore.
Does this sound like anyone’s symptoms?

I also have a bit of field of vision missing and diplopia where the pain is (which is consistent with optic neuritis) but everywhere I’ve read says the pain only lasts a few days.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Optic neuritis?

Post by NHE »

Mill wrote:Can optic neuritis cause pain lasting 6 weeks +?
I have had optic neuritis years ago and it didn’t hurt.
I have had pain for 6 weeks so far.
I have a dull ache pain in the corner of my left eye with occasional stabbing and it’s very irritated and sore.
Does this sound like anyone’s symptoms?

I also have a bit of field of vision missing and diplopia where the pain is (which is consistent with optic neuritis) but everywhere I’ve read says the pain only lasts a few days.
Welcome to ThisIsMS. Have you seen an ophthalmologist yet? Your symptoms may not be due to MS and may have another cause.
Mill

Post by Mill »

I’ve been to the ophthalmologist and he seems to think it might be trochleitis.
I’m not hugely convinced though because it’s so rare and I already have ms.
ArthurJ
Family Member

Post by ArthurJ »

I had optic neuritis when I was initially diagnosed. My vision in one eye had clouded over. It was as if my glasses were permanently fogged over, but just on one lens. The doctor could readily see the inflammation in my retina. IV steroids, solumedrol, helped clear up my vision, but it remained sensitive to high temperatures for several months. For example, it would start to fog over again if I became overheated. I could feel a slight pressure in my eye, but never felt any pain.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Unfortunately your question might generate an answer that fits but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the right one.

I'd trust your doctor. He is trained and we aren't. His treatment is likely to be a corticosteroid. If trochleitis is a correct diagnosis, then treatment will likely work. If it isn't the correct answer, the treatment is still well up the list of general treatments anyway.

Regards,