DHA Supports Brain Development and Protects Nerve Function

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ElliotB
Family Elder

DHA Supports Brain Development and Protects Nerve Function

Post by ElliotB »

DHA (an Omega 3 fatty acid) Supports Brain Development and Protects Neurological Function

EPA and DHA are the main nutrients in Omega 3 fatty acid supplements. Most Omega 3 supplements (virtually all) have higher levels of eico-sapentaenoic acid (EPA) than docosahexaeonic acid (DHA). DHA is thought to be better for heart health and two years ago I switched formulations based on this. One of the supplement companies I purchase from publishes an extremely well thought out and informative e-magazine and while searching through their back issues a couple of days ago, found this VERY interesting article from 2008:

https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/ ... il/page-01

The article happens to contain a tremendous amount of valuable health information about DHA and its importance to brain and nerve health/function. Hope you find it interesting!

I was going to summarize some of the key points and list them here but there is simply to much good information within the article to do that. What is MOST amazing to me is that information like this is basically ignored by the health community! Again, consider that this article is only from 2008!! I had never seen this info before and I spend many hours almost every day doing research. What a shame and sham!!!

There are several sources for Omega 3 fatty acids, the most common being fatty fish and krill. There are also some plant sources. CalaMarine® Omega 3 oil is the one that has more DHA than EPA and it comes from squid (calamari). If you take an Omega 3 supplement, you may want to reconsider this formulation. Again, I have only found a handful of companies that offer products with higher levels of DHA than EPA and you do have to search for them. I am happy to make a recommendation if anyone is interested, just let me know.

Also keep in mind that although fish is often a recommended MS diet item probably because of the good fats they contain, farm raised fish/seafood has significantly less Omega 3 than wild caught fish/seafood as farm raised products are typically fed grains.

There are other supplements that are thought to offer positive results to the brain, one being Phosphatidylserine or PS as it is commonly known.