Interesting General info on Magnesium

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Interesting General info on Magnesium

Post by ElliotB »

I am constantly receiving info from some of the companies I purchase supplements from and received this nicely written [general] info on Magnesium today and thought I would share it here:

https://www.drsinatra.com/0319-sin-lp-b ... c3OTI2NwS2

The info from this doctor is from a cardiologists perspective as he is a cardiologist but much of the info is of general relevance and quite interesting. While I do buy certain specific products from this company, I do not buy this particular supplement, and I am providing this link only for the information contained within the article on magnesium.

Hope you find it informative!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Interesting General info on Magnesium

Post by jimmylegs »

personally i tend to prefer a cleaner info link and at least some text content before i commit to a click.

for other readers, full url fyi:

https:// www. drsinatra. com /0319-sin-lp-broad-spectrum?key=
308060&utm_campaign=PP-178&utm_source=loy-email-all&utm_medium=
email_channel&utm_content=sinatra-magnesium-022119&utm_leadgen_overlay=
false&pf=FS_99&of=O-19&et_s=ETS-13&et_b=ETB-8&sg=S-1&sp_rid=
cHJpbnRpbmdmb3JsZXNzQHlhaG9vLmNvbQS2&sm_rid=
cHJpbnRpbmdmb3JsZXNzQHlhaG9vLmNvbQS2&sm_mid=38929487&spdate=February%2021,
%202019&emaildid=5769691&spMailingID=38929487&spUserID=
MjI4MDM5MDM2MjA0S0&spJobID=1461779267&spReportId=MTQ2MTc3OTI2NwS2

search on selected syntax yields:

https :// www .drsinatra .com /0917 -sin-lp-broad-spectrum-magnesium-paid-search

there are to date a grand total of zero academic publications using the phrase "broad spectrum magnesium" but it's used on pages upon pages of supplement vendor web sites.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

I agree that magnesium is critical, especially if you are doing a lot of vitamin D. However, it's a turn off to see a doctor touting benefits of a supplement, and then selling them on the same web site.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

In his defense, long before he was putting his name to branded supplements, Sinatra wrote a book called "Metabolic Cardiology" ( https://www.amazon.com/Sinatra-Solution ... 1591202914 ) which is where I learned the basics of ATP. His grounding was as a practicing cardiologist doing open heart surgery etc when he drifted into nutrition as a therapy. His book acknowledges and draws heavily on another book called "ATP and the heart" by Prof. Joanne Ingwall ( https://connects.catalyst.harvard.edu/P ... rson/78127 ) but it is well beyond what most people can follow and was aimed at researchers.( https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9781402070938 )

Sinatra is really a translator of complex concepts into something the average person can understand. If he uses silly terms like "broad spectrum" on his labels, I imagine he is just trying to reach the broadest number of people with something they might understand.

The point is a cell is a cell. What applies to a heart cell can be applied elsewhere as the machinery is very similar. What Sinatra says about a healthy heart is just as applicable to the other cells in your body.

I don't think the webpage in the link is anywhere near as useful as his book but many people just want a quick answer.

Regards,
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Scott1, I believe you recommended his book to me I wanted to sincerely thank you again. Dr. Sinatra is extremely knowledgeable about many health issues, with his primary concentration on cardiology but his expertise also includes overall health, and has some very unique insights. His supplements, many unique to his company because he formulated them himself, his book, website and newsletters have all been very, very beneficial to me and my overall good health, heart health and MS health.

An interesting discrepancy that I just noticed, in his article per the link I posted above, he recommends 400 mg of a broad-spectrum magnesium every day yet in the product he sells, the recommended dosage is only 200mg!

Although I do not take a broad spectrum product currently, I do take about 1600mg per day (citrate). I am now considering adding a broad spectrum magnesium supplement.
Last edited by ElliotB on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I have discovered in doing some research today that there are numerous types of magnesium and they each have slightly different health benefits. If found this interesting article which details most of them titled "TYPES OF MAGNESIUM: THE BEST AND WORST":

https://www.thefamilythathealstogether. ... and-worst/

One form stands out from the others, Magnesium Threonate. Its health benefits include:

formulated for brain health
may help to diminish symptoms of hyperactivity, depression, anxiety, and other brain-related disorders
improves memory
demonstrated restoration of function in aging neurons in animal studies
the only form of magnesium that significantly increases levels of magnesium in the brain

Another couple of good ones

Magnesium Glycinate

made from magnesium and the amino acid glycine
promotes relaxation
is easily absorbed
may improve leaky gut
may reduce nerve pain

Magnsium malate

made from magnsium and the organic compound malic acid
improves energy levels
reduces muscle pain
may counteract heavy metals

I take Magnesium Citrate which is a very popular form of magnesium. But after reading this article, I will be switching. Here is what the article had to say about Magnesium Citrate:

Magnesium citrate- this popular type of magnesium is used most frequently to keep users regular. While it does ease constipation, the way in which it does it isn’t the best for us.

Mag citrate actually pulls water into your intestines, which can lead to dehydration. What’s worse, this type of magnesium can reduce ceroplasmin levels, leading to mineral imbalances and deficiencies.

Finally, there is evidence that the most popular magnesium citrate on the market may contain high levels of arsenic (the original reason our family ditched it several years ago).

Wow!