mouse model of PPMS with REAL MS

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
frodo
Family Elder

mouse model of PPMS with REAL MS

Post by frodo »

I am really sorry about these poor mice, but at least this is not an absolutely useless experiment, like those on EAE.

NOTE: This is not the first report about passing real MS to mice. See for example viewtopic.php?f=59&t=30985

Intrathecal delivery of primary progressive MS cerebrospinal fluid induces behavioral deficits and spinal cord pathology in mice

https://tischms.org/research/published/ ... id-induces

OBJECTIVE: To develop an animal model of primary progressive MS (PPMS) that exhibits characteristic pathology in the cervical spinal cord to better understand underlying disease pathogenesis.

DESIGN/METHODS: Cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) obtained from either PPMS or relapsing-remitting (RRMS) patients was administered to mice intrathecally.

CONCLUSIONS: Intrathecal delivery of PPMS CSF induces motor weakness and is accompanied by reactive astrogliosis, axonal damage and GLT-1 upregulation. This mouse model should enable further investigation of mechanisms underlying PPMS.
Last edited by frodo on Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
jeppe777

Re: mouse model of PPMS

Post by jeppe777 »

Yea sorry for the mice. However I guess this is the only way they can really do research on it. Unlike the EAE just like you mentioned. What a complete waste of money and time that is. And life. But it is good for the big companies to treat the symptoms I guess, rather than looking for the root of a disease. Symptoms you can treat for life, cures are just not as profitable.
jeppe777

Post by jeppe777 »

Why wasn't this done 10 years ago though.....
Anunymouse
Family Member

Post by Anunymouse »

It must be amazing to be a mouse. Pretty MUCH EVERYTHING cures you.