Antiretroviral Drugs

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Petr75
Family Elder

Antiretroviral Drugs

Post by Petr75 »

2019 Jan 22
Clinical Neurology Research Group, Division of Clinical Neuroscience, University of Nottingham School of Medicine, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Do Antiretroviral Drugs Protect From Multiple Sclerosis by Inhibiting Expression of MS-Associated Retrovirus?
PMC https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6357932/

Abstract
The expression of human endogenous retroviruses (HERVs) has been associated with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). The MS-related retrovirus (MSRV/HERV-W) has the potential to activate inflammatory immunity, which could promote both susceptibility and progression toward MS. A connection between HERVs and MS is also supported by the observation that people infected with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) may have a lower risk of developing MS than the HIV non-infected, healthy population. This may be due to suppression of HERV expression by antiretroviral therapies (ART) used to treat HIV infection. In this pilot study, we compared RNA expression of the envelope gene of MSRV/HERV-W, as well as Toll-like receptors (TLR) 2 and 4, in a small cohort of HIV+ patients with MS patients and healthy controls (HC). An increased expression of MSRV/HERV-Wenv and TLR2 RNA was detected in blood of MS patients compared with HIV patients and HC, while TLR4 was increased in both MS and HIV patients. There was, however, no difference in MSRV/HERV-Wenv, TLR2 and TLR4 expression between ART-treated and -untreated HIV patients. The viral protein Env was expressed mainly by B cells and monocytes, but not by T cells and EBV infection could induce the expression of MSRV/HERV-Wenv in Lymphoblastoid cell lines (LCLs). LCLs were therefore used as an in vitro system to test the efficacy of ART in inhibiting the expression of MSRV/HERV-Wenv. Efavirenz (a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor) alone or different combined drugs could reduce MSRV/HERV-Wenv expression in vitro. Further, experiments are needed to clarify the potential role of ART in protection from MS.
https://www.eboro.cz
zen2010
Family Elder

Re: Antiretroviral Drugs

Post by zen2010 »

Hi,

It reminds me the story of this woman who has ms and noticed huge improvements of her ms symptoms after taking HIV drugs.

*https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-34659771*

For sure, only one person claiming he/she knows how to cure MS doesn't mean anything.
But, MS-associated-with-retroviruses is currently a very popular topic.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21380&start=45
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

I have found something similar. Depleting EBV with artificial T-cells also works, even in progressive stage.

Epstein-Barr virus–specific T cell therapy for progressive multiple sclerosis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6302936/

BACKGROUND. Increasing evidence indicates a role for EBV in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis (MS). EBV-infected autoreactive B cells might accumulate in the CNS because of defective cytotoxic CD8+ T cell immunity. We sought to determine the feasibility and safety of treating progressive MS patients with autologous EBV-specific T cell therapy.

METHODS. An open-label phase I trial was designed to treat 5 patients with secondary progressive MS and 5 patients with primary progressive MS with 4 escalating doses of in vitro–expanded autologous EBV-specific T cells targeting EBV nuclear antigen 1, latent membrane protein 1 (LMP1), and LMP2A. Following adoptive immunotherapy, we monitored the patients for safety and clinical responses.

RESULTS. Of the 13 recruited participants, 10 received the full course of T cell therapy. There were no serious adverse events. Seven patients showed improvement, with 6 experiencing both symptomatic and objective neurological improvement, together with a reduction in fatigue, improved quality of life, and, in 3 patients, reduced intrathecal IgG production. All 6 patients receiving T cells with strong EBV reactivity showed clinical improvement, whereas only 1 of the 4 patients receiving T cells with weak EBV reactivity showed improvement (P = 0.033, Fisher’s exact test).

CONCLUSION. EBV-specific adoptive T cell therapy was well tolerated. Clinical improvement following treatment was associated with the potency of EBV-specific reactivity of the administered T cells. Further clinical trials are warranted to determine the efficacy of EBV-specific T cell therapy in MS.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

frodo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:09 am I have found something similar. Depleting EBV with artificial T-cells also works, even in progressive stage.

Epstein-Barr virus–specific T cell therapy for progressive multiple sclerosis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6302936/
see: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30179&p=253493#p253493
The next trial is already in progress. I am in it, and have received my first dose (3 doses 1 week apart, then a few months later another round of 3)

They have sold the tech to another corporation, and switched from Autologous (your own) to Allogeneic (ie "prefab" from other donors)
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

CureOrBust wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:05 pm The next trial is already in progress. I am in it, and have received my first dose (3 doses 1 week apart, then a few months later another round of 3)

They have sold the tech to another corporation, and switched from Autologous (your own) to Allogeneic (ie "prefab" from other donors)
Great news!!! Thanks for the info.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

EBV is not really a retro-viral, so I'll post elsewhere.
viewtopic.php?p=258571#p258571