Bowen technique question

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Jaded
Family Elder

Bowen technique question

Post by Jaded »

I wanted to ask if anyone has had this therapy?

I went to see someone who does anatomical alignment work and he also does Bowen. As part of the session he did some Bowen therapy work on me.

I am just asking because I have not felt the same since and I don't know if it's a coincidence. I've had pains in my mid-back which I thought might be kidneys. Saw my doc. Blood tests were all ok. I've never had problems with my back but the pain was so bad it was waking me at night. The GP has given me low-dose amitryptylin and advised painkillers during the day.

J
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Bowen technique question

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Bowen therapy is supposed to work on fascia. Two things might have happened - 1) he wasn't as skilled as he professed to be or 2) one session wasn't enough and what was done has triggered a reaction by working one area of fascia without compensating another area.

Without seeing what your talking about in real life, I'd guess your quadratus lumborum muscles need to be backed off. If it's tight then you will feel pain in the lower back on both sides of the spine. It could be your erector spinae is also tight and playing a roll.

The simple, first thing to do is get the areas massaged. When they are tight, massage can feel like you're a rock being hit with a hammer. To overcome that, ask if a heat pack can be applied for five minutes before the massage and that will make the muscles easier to work with.

Regards,
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks Scott1

I had to check those muscles - hadn't heard of them! :)

I had a starter session then a full session two weeks later - so sort of two almost. Not sure I will dare to go back to be honest. I feel dreadful.

It feels like t10-t12 area and when I lie on my left side the pain on the right increases - when it's very painful. It's not always terrible but it's always there.

I shall sort out a massage and see how I get on.

Thank you - I'll let you know!

J
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

I had a massage, still felt something there despite taking the amytryptline. Went back to the docs...well it seems I have minor spinal scoliosis as confirmed on x-ray. Probably due to my gait imbalance, and I think that's what is causing my pain.

It's quite shocking to hear but it makes sense - I know I walk lopsided sometimes. Must have been doing it for much longer than I remembered. :(

Must go back to that yoga class.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Yep,

If the gait is out, then the pelvis is out of alignment as well. Whatever technique you use, you just have to work muscles eccentrically (ie in a lengthened state). My preference is Pilates but yoga works the same way. As everything is held together with fascia (connective tissue), don't forget to work both sides of your body evenly or you end up with problems.

Regards,
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Many thanks Scott1

It is quite scary what years of bad habit can do - I didn't keep it in check.

Best wishes