I wonder if this might help MS?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
tzootsi
Family Elder

I wonder if this might help MS?

Post by tzootsi »

A treatment that has restored the movement of patients with chronic Parkinson's disease has been developed by Canadian researchers.

Previously housebound patients are now able to walk more freely as a result of electrical stimulation to their spines.

A quarter of patients have difficulty walking as the disease wears on, often freezing on the spot and falling.

Parkinson's UK hailed its potential impact on an aspect of the disease where there is currently no treatment.

Prof Mandar Jog, of Western University in London, Ontario, told BBC News the scale of benefit to patients of his new treatment was "beyond his wildest dreams".

I can't get the BBC link to work, but google BBC to see the whole article
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: I wonder if this might help MS?

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I read an article about this in a local paper. It works by stimulating the signal from the muscle back to the brain.

The lesions we have interrupt the signal from an upper motor neuron to a lower motor neuron. In essence,the damage we have is at the other end of the chain from their proposal for the problem with Parkinsons. They are proposing the issue is more peripheral nervous system rather than central nervous system.

My guess is the answer to your question is no, but we won't know till someone tries it. If it works, then you tip a lot of existing models out the window.

Regards,
zen2010
Family Elder

Re: I wonder if this might help MS?

Post by zen2010 »

Return to “General Discussion”