The Scottsdale Magnesium Study

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
THX1138
Family Elder

The Scottsdale Magnesium Study

Post by THX1138 »

ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: The Scottsdale Magnesium Study

Post by ElliotB »

That link/video is basically a sales tool (infomercial) for MagSRT, a time release magnesium supplement that contains Magnesium Malate and malic acid and a small amount of other ingredients. Both these ingredients are readily available in higher doses at a fraction of the cost from other sources. BUT if you need the convenience of a single pill, this one appears to be good and has pretty high positive reviews on Amazon. The only drawback I see is that the Magnesium Malate dosage is only 500mg which is not an overly high dose but may be more than adequate. The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for magnesium for adults is 310–420 mg depending on age and gender. This form of magnesium is an important one and is readily available and very inexpensive as compared to the MagSRT supplement - for example, Pure Naturals Magnesium Malate offers 1250 Mg of malate with a bottle of 360 Tablets for under $20 and it does also have malic acid also at a higher dosage than the MagSRT product. In fact, a supplement I am currently taking includes malate and malic but in a much lower dosage than Pure Naturals and I will likely replace it with this one in the near future.

I Invite you to read my recent thread on a DIY super magnesium supplement (which does include malate) here if you have not already seen it:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30804&p=256935&hili ... um#p256935

There seems to be a strong consensus about the importance of Magnesium!
Last edited by ElliotB on Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

on apr 2 2018 when this campaign/tracking link was posted and the product plugged here at tims, my response was the same:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29425476

personally i'm fine with mag dense options in diet and budget-friendly supplement options. without checking specifics i would estimate my preferred current mag product costs me no more than $6-7 a month and that's based on a high est of $20 a bottle after tax, without looking for particular deals.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Proper nutrition is obviously important especially for those with a major illness, and considering the poor quality of today's foods with regard to nutrition, supplementation is often very necessary.

To get the 'official' necessary nutrition levels for many key nutrients which are often very conservative at best, a very large quantity of food might need to be consumed, as would be the case for magnesium. This is not always possible.

According to this previously posted thread, like many nutrients in those with MS, magnesium is often lower than those in the general population:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29504

so an even larger amount of food would need to be consumed to maintain healthy levels of magnesium. Again, this is not always an option. And although many foods have been found to provide magnesium, supplementation can be very important to maintain proper levels.

I have never paid much attention to my magnesium levels as I believe I have been in the normal range or my doctor would have alerted me but plan to take a closer look the next time I do blood work which is going to be within a few months.
Last edited by ElliotB on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

as discussed ad infinitum here at TiMS, 'normal' isn't good enough. related:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18568&start=150#p246397
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.