Cooling vest

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
zen2010
Family Elder

Cooling vest

Post by zen2010 »

Hi,

As you all know, heat is our biggest enemy.

=> I met some MSers who strongly advise me to get a cooling vest.

See the description in the video below (8'10'' in the video)

It looks very interesting, so I will get one from amazon later today.

Are some of you using it? Can you pls provide feedbacks?
Thks
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Cooling vest

Post by ElliotB »

I used to be greatly affected by heat, not so much anymore over the past couple of years thankfully.

I have bought/used numerous vests. The vests that work by evaporation will not do the job for you typically. You need a vest that has ice packs incorporated into it that you freeze overnight. The best one I found lasted almost 2 hours even during mid day summer high heat/humidity (in South Florida heat) I have others that only last 1/2 an hour. The more 'cooling' a vest offers, the heavier it is (because of the added weight from the liquid. But the weight is evenly distributed and makes the heavier vest (which really is not all that heavy) still quite comfortable to wear.

Good luck, a good vest will keep you a lot more comfortable!
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Cooling vest

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

That's an excellent summary.
I am a great believer in the cool drink idea. If you take some watermelon, ice and a little water and wizz it up in one of those drink makers you will get an excellent cold drink. As you're effectively pouring ice down your throat it really counteracts the effects of the heat. The watermelon acts as a mild vasodilator (citrulline). Dilating the blood vessels is part of how we cool ourselves.
I haven't tried a jacket. Some people like them but I've found a cold drink and light clothes work for me.
It's only 9 degrees here so not a big issue here right now, unlike the northern hemisphere.
Regards,