Vaping linked to lung failure

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Vaping linked to lung failure

Post by NHE »

Vaping is causing a growing epidemic of lung failure.

One man’s brush with death after vaping-related lung failure
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... g-failure/

Illinois patient’s death may be first in US tied to vaping
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... to-vaping/
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Vaping linked to lung failure

Post by NHE »

CDC Says Number Of Possible Cases Of Vaping-Related Lung Illness Has Doubled
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... as-doubled

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that the number of possible cases of severe respiratory illnesses among people who vaped nicotine or cannabis-related products has more than doubled, to 450 in 33 states.

"Although more investigation is needed to determine the vaping agent or agents responsible, there is clearly an epidemic that begs for an urgent response," David Christiani of the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health writes in an editorial published Friday in The New England Journal of Medicine.

In a media briefing Friday, the CDC suggested people should avoid using e-cigarettes.

"While this investigation is ongoing, people should consider not using e-cigarette products," says Dr. Dana Meaney-Delman, incident manager of the CDC's response to the vaping-related lung injuries. "People who do use e-cigarette products should monitor themselves for symptoms, for example, cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea and vomiting — and promptly seek medical attention for any health concerns."

Late last month, the CDC said the number of reported vaping-related cases stood at 215. Five people have died — in Illinois, Oregon, Indiana, Minnesota and California.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Menthol flavored vaping products expose users to carcinogen

Post by NHE »

Users of Mint, Menthol E-Cigs Exposed to Unacceptably High Levels of Carcinogen
https://www.jwatch.org/fw115830/2019/09 ... tably-high
"People who vape mint- and menthol-flavored e-cigarettes are exposed to potentially dangerous levels of the carcinogenic compound pulegone, according to a JAMA Internal Medicine study.

Pulegone, derived from the essential oils of mint plants, has been shown to cause tumors in rodents. Synthetic pulegone was banned as a food additive in 2018, and its levels are limited in the flavorings for traditional cigarettes.

In the new study, researchers found that levels of pulegone in five mint or menthol e-cigarette products and one mint smokeless tobacco product were higher than those in combustible cigarettes. They were also higher than what the FDA deems as unacceptable for synthetic pulegone in food.

The authors conclude, "Our findings appear to establish health risks associated with pulegone intake and concerns that the FDA should address before suggesting mint- and menthol-flavored e-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products as alternatives for people who use combustible tobacco products."

Separately, N.Y. Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced on Sunday that he would take immediate steps to ban sales of flavored e-cigarettes (other than tobacco and menthol) across the state. And on Monday, the CDC activated its Emergency Operations Center to help deal with the current outbreak of vaping-related lung illness."
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

There are so many theories on this. One is that vitamin E is added to some of these products which has been shown to cause health issues when vaporized.

At this point, they don't really know anything for certain. I very occasionally have vaped THC/CBD and the dispensary I get it from assures me their vape products are safe but will no longer use them.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

I think that what the recent events have demonstrated is that the e-cigarette/vaping industry is highly unregulated and that their products could contain just about anything.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Very true! Which is why I stopped.

Unfortunately the supplement industry is basically unregulated as well. Kind of scary...
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:07 pm Unfortunately the supplement industry is basically unregulated as well. Kind of scary...
Agreed. That's why I try to avoid generic brand supplements and those from smaller suppliers. For example, one member of my family was taking a generic brand (i.e., store brand) acai supplement. The capsules were charcoal grey in color. One time when we ran out, I decided to try a major name brand. Surprise. The capsules were full of a light purple powder which makes sense for an extract from a purple berry. So what was in the charcoal grey colored capsules? Who knows. It was probably from China and could have been anything.

A few years ago the show Frontline on PBS ran an episode called 'Supplements and Safety' which discussed these issues. You can watch it for free online.

https://www.pbs.org/video/frontline-sup ... nd-safety/