balance and gait improvement

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
zen2010
Family Elder

balance and gait improvement

Post by zen2010 »

Hi,
One MSer living in US, tried the PoNS
viewtopic.php?p=258709#p258709

As she hasn't seen any positive result, she told me she would try this:
https://www.hocoma.com/solutions/gait-balance/

I think that's interesting, so I share...

Just want to say I don't work for this company, I just share information given to me.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: balance and gait improvement

Post by ElliotB »

There are not many locations across the US to use those devices.

I wonder if this treatment is covered by insurance...

I would suggest trying this as an alternative for balance improvement. It is simple to do at home, safe and effective for many. And FREE as there is no equipment needed.

Epley maneuver for vertigo - here is a link to a YouTube video you may find useful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY4UeRmTYmA
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

zen2010 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:45 pm Hi,
One MSer living in US, tried the PoNS (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30320)

What is this MS patient's EDSS level, e.g., cane, crutches, walker or wheelchair?
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

She has gait issue. She is around 50 years old + she is using 2 crutches.
Other than that she looks fine.
Last edited by zen2010 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

zen2010 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:45 pmOne MSer living in US, tried the PoNS (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30320)

I think that's interesting, so I share...
There are lots of youtube videos featuring the Lokomat.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lokomat

Hocoma also has an official media page with photos and videos.

https://www.hocoma.com/media-center/med ... s/lokomat/
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Thanks for letting us know about the PoNS zen. Montel Williams was just here promoting this and the clinic that uses it in our city. Said it REALLLLY helped him...in whatever city he used it. Hmmmm....
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

You're right, one PoNS clinic was recently opened in Calgary.

Montel Williams has been using the device for a looooong time. Also, he is a workout addict.
Most of all, don't forget he is not the face of MS! We are all different.

I believe in neuroplasticity. I really think brain stimulation can help.
I don't know why the PoNS is not helping that much.
Maybe it needs to be used more than 14 weeks?
Maybe the Physiotherapy is not the right one?
I don't know
time will tell...

I just watched youtube videos of the Lokomat from NHE's post . It looks great!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Like so many therapies, it seems to work for some but not all and certainly not an overwhelming majority.

"Montel Williams has been using the device for a looooong time. Also, he is a workout addict."

Not only is he a workout addict, he does many other things as well for his health. He is very proactive. There is no way of knowing if the Pons device is truly working for him or not. That is why controlled testing is needed, like clinical trials. But as we all know, clinical trials are far from perfect.

One thing that seems to be a common element for most people that do well is exercise. And that could be a simple and perhaps better explanation of why he is showing improvement. Who knows?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Music wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:12 am Thanks for letting us know about the PoNS zen. Montel Williams was just here promoting this and the clinic that uses it in our city. Said it REALLLLY helped him...in whatever city he used it. Hmmmm....
Regarding Montel, he was one of the cofounders of Helius Medical Technologies when it was known as MPJ Healthcare. The name MPJ comes from the first initials of the 3 cofounders, Montel Williams, Phil Deschamps (current CEO) and Johnathan Sackier (current chief medical officer).
https://heliusmedical.com/index.php/about/overview
https://heliusmedical.com/index.php/about/meet-our-team

Montel's company, Montel Media, was paid $245,000 during 2017 and 2018 by Helius Medical to promote the PoNS. The Montel Williams Foundation owns approximately 1.4 million shares of Helius Medical. Both Phil Deschamps and Johnathan Sackier also own sizable lots of HSDT (approximately 683 thousand and 703 thousand shares respectively).

Here's their last quarterly report filed with the SEC on August 8, 2019. It's all there.
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... 190630.htm

Many good things were written about the PoNS in Norman Doidge's two books, The Brain That Changes Itself and The Brain's Way of Healing. It's unfortunate that things have worked out as they have so far.
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Yes, I know about Montel and Helius. He has tried manyyyy things for his MS. I'm not a fan of his. Who really knows which or if all has helped him in some way. Good on him tho for being a go-getter. He does have the money so why not. And maybe he has a milder case???
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Music wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:44 am Yes, I know about Montel and Helius. He has tried manyyyy things for his MS. I'm not a fan of his.
I'm not a fan either. Some time ago he was in a series of ads on late night TV promoting a pay-day loan company. These companies are nothing more than legalized loan sharks.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Robot-assisted gait training (Lokomat) improves walking function and activity in people with spinal cord injury: a systematic review.
J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2017 Mar 23;14(1):24.

Robot-assisted gait training (RAGT) after spinal cord injury (SCI) induces several different neurophysiological mechanisms to restore walking ability, including the activation of central pattern generators, task-specific stepping practice and massed exercise. However, there is no clear evidence for the optimal timing and efficacy of RAGT in people with SCI. The aim of our study was to assess the effects of RAGT on improvement in walking-related functional outcomes in patients with incomplete SCI compared with other rehabilitation modalities according to time elapsed since injury. This review included 10 trials involving 502 participants to meta-analysis. The acute RAGT groups showed significantly greater improvements in gait distance, leg strength, and functional level of mobility and independence than the over-ground training (OGT) groups. The pooled mean difference was 45.05 m (95% CI 13.81 to 76.29, P = 0.005, I2 = 0%; two trials, 122 participants), 2.54 (LEMS, 95% CI 0.11 to 4.96, P = 0.04, I2 = 0%; three trials, 211 participants) and 0.5 (WISCI-II and FIM-L, 95% CI 0.02 to 0.98, P = 0.04, I2 = 67%; three trials, 211 participants), respectively. In the chronic RAGT group, significantly greater improvements in speed (pooled mean difference = 0.07 m/s, 95% CI 0.01 to 0.12, P = 0.01, I2 = 0%; three trials, 124 participants) and balance measured by TUG (pooled mean difference = 9.25, 95% CI 2.76 to 15.73, P = 0.005, I2 = 74%; three trials, 120 participants) were observed than in the group with no intervention. Thus, RAGT improves mobility-related outcomes to a greater degree than conventional OGT for patients with incomplete SCI, particularly during the acute stage. RAGT treatment is a promising technique to restore functional walking and improve locomotor ability, which might enable SCI patients to maintain a healthy lifestyle and increase their level of physical activity.

Free full text.
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Hi,

Here is the first feedback from the person who tried the Lokomat :

"I only used the Lokomat for 10 minutes today. The first part of the session was measuring and adjusting the machine. I should be ready for a longer period next week. Even with the small amount of time, my legs felt like they were moving a little better Hours later, I still feel positive effects. I came home and "practiced" walking while I still had the effects. I hope you get a chance to try it. Next week they will challenge me by having me use more effort in my weaker leg."
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Hi,
Here is the last feedback from the person who tried the Lokomat:
I finished my PT. Using the Lokomat only once a week was not beneficial for me, but that's not to say it wouldn't help others. Any improvements I had only lasted a day or two. I think if I used the Lokomat 3x a week, I might have had some gains, but it is very cumbersome to use. It takes a lot of time to get a patient prepared for using the Lokomat. Pads, harnesses and belts need to be carefully applied and adjusted.

I know you are in contact with a worldwide MS blog. Has anyone tried the anti-gravity treadmill? The brand name is Alter-G. You can google it to read about it.
She is mentioning the anti-gravity treadmill

Has anyone tried it?
If yes, can you pls provide feedback?
thks