Help for muscle spasms in legs

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
David1949
Family Elder

Help for muscle spasms in legs

Post by David1949 »

I get muscle spasms in my legs at night which can keep me awake all night. I found one product that helps. It's not a cure but definitely helps Magnilife relaxing leg cream
It only lasts a few hours so I wait until the spasms start, usually around 3:00 AM. Then I apply it to my leg.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Help for muscle spasms in legs

Post by Scott1 »

I used to get massive leg cramps below the knee for a long time. Then I stumbled on something called Periformis syndrome.
Essentially, the periformis muscle squeezes the sciatic nerve and the spasm rips down the leg. Lying on your hip or buttock whilst sleeping will trigger it.
It took a couple of goes but finally I got an injection of cortisone into the lateral part of the performis. It was deliberately done to puncture the muscle rather than drizzle cortisone over it. Haven't had a cramp since.
I do also take reasonable amounts of magnesium on a daily basis.

Regards.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Help for muscle spasms in legs

Post by ElliotB »

I also take magnesium and Quinine (found in tonic water).

I also find the exercising/stretching I am getting from the passive exercise equipment I recently starting using is very, very helpful.