At the breaking point with nausea and vertigo

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Youarethecure
Family Elder

At the breaking point with nausea and vertigo

Post by Youarethecure »

I have been dealing with nausea and vertigo type stuff for over 3 months now on and off. The only way I can describe it is as feeling like I am sea sick all day and night. it comes and goes, usually for 2 to 3 days at a time. I go days without eating and throwing up if I do eat anything.... or throwing up without even eating.

I spend days laying down, not eating, not going to the gym or really doing anything. This has happened to me in the past, but not for this long. I take bonine with ginger and pepto bismol almost daily. Thankfully its not as bad as it was, I have not thrown up in a couple weeks.... but as soon as I think its over it comes back just not as bad. I am down over 10 pounds.... which is a lot considering I have been a "gym rat" for over 10 years now.

Is this something I am missing I could try to do or anything? I was diagnosed with MS almost 6 years ago, and MS started for me 11 years ago. I am already big into diet and nutrition stuff based off what I learned from this site and research.

Thanks for any help,

Chris
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: At the breaking point with nausea and vertigo

Post by Scott1 »

Hi Chris,

Have you been tested for heliobacter Pylori?
Do you think you're more likely to be ill given certain circumstances or is it totally random?
What makes you think vertigo is part of it?
Did it start as something that occassionally happened or is it a sudden massive onslaught?

Regards,
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I have suffered from both too!

Have you tried medical marijuana for the nausea?

Also, try the Epley maneuver for your vertigo. Lots of info and videos online...
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

I don't know if I was ever tested for that.... probably would have come up with all the testing in my past. It definitely does seem completely random. I can literally feel it "click on" and I start feeling ill, knowing Ill be worse for at least 24 hours. There is no common factor around when it all begins. It seems to happen occasionally with different lengths of time and intensity. It peaked already in intensity but I am still having lesser bouts of it. It has been over 3 months of this. Longest symptom I have had stick around... which is making me worry. This is the worst symptom I have ever been through.

I use marijuana for sure. Only way I can eat on the bad days. I use it as a huge part of my fight against MS. Ill check out the move thanks.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I had that bug many years ago. What you describe reminds me of it. The test is simple.
When you throw up, if it has a lot a bile I'd really do the test.

Regards,
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

So this has still been bothering me and it got worse again over the past few months...… ughhhhh. But I have found something that keeps the nausea away. I take Benadryl to sleep some nights and realized Benadryl takes ALL of the nausea away. I also started taking Unisom (separate days from Benadryl) to sleep and that keeps me feeling decent all day. I always thought it was a good night sleep that helps me feel decent but the antihistamines are what 100 percent help me. A lot of women with morning sickness take Unisom to relieve it the next day. I haven't taken anything in a few days and feel ok, hopefully this is it.... for now at least.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,
The benadryl makes sense for the symptoms you described. It works on the H1 receptor which is about histamine release. Do you ever notice any allergic reaction (like a runny nose etc) when this happens?
I tried to find an association with MS but its very nebulous.
It sounds like you're describing something that is episodic. Is that the case?
When my daughter was 16 she went on a jungle safari through Borneo with her school. Years later she was throwing up every morning and blaming it on being allergic to something. I took her to a doctor who did a blood test and it turned out she had a common travelers bug. It just took 5 years to surface.
Your original note sounded like a bug that I had. Did you get tested for that and have you been tested for other blood borne infections. Some take years to show up.
Regards,
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Youarethecure wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:20 pm So this has still been bothering me and it got worse again over the past few months...… ughhhhh. But I have found something that keeps the nausea away. I take Benadryl to sleep some nights and realized Benadryl takes ALL of the nausea away. I also started taking Unisom (separate days from Benadryl) to sleep and that keeps me feeling decent all day. I always thought it was a good night sleep that helps me feel decent but the antihistamines are what 100 percent help me. A lot of women with morning sickness take Unisom to relieve it the next day. I haven't taken anything in a few days and feel ok, hopefully this is it.... for now at least.
Both medications, Benadryl and Unisom, contain diphenhydramine which has been reported to have strong anticholinergic activity. In effect, it inhibits the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Repeated usage can cause mental fogginess, increase the risks of dementia and increase brain atrophy. Many drugs have anticholinergic activity. The risks of deleterious side effects increase when these drugs are taken in combination and/or used over an extended period. You can read about this problem by following the links in the following post. viewtopic.php?p=249928#p249928
Youarethecure
Family Elder

Post by Youarethecure »

Thanks I use the Unisom that has doxylamine which is different. Prob the same side effects and what not. Im not too concerned with any of that just yet. I am still young... kinda at 32 ha. Aside from MS I am relatively healthy. I go to the gym or ride my bike 5 6 times a week. I don't use it quite enough to be concerned. Most of us are on drugs that ravage the immune system and our bodies. I'm sure with taking antihistamines here and there I will be ok.

Return to “General Discussion”